Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Report: Scholes to Call it Quits Again at Season's End
The Sun, December 21st, 2012 7:21AM

MOST READ
TAGS:  england, manchester united

MOST COMMENTED

The Sun is reporting that Manchester United legend Paul Scholes will retire for good at the end of the 2012-2013 season. The 38-year-old midfielder has apparently told people close to him that this time there is no going back.

Scholes retired at the end of the 2010-2011 season, which saw United win a record 19th title, but after taking up a role coaching the reserves, he badly missed playing with the first team and believed he still had something to offer. The midfielder made his comeback as a substitute in Manchester United’s FA Cup victory over Manchester City on Jan. 8 and went on to play a big part in United’s title race last season. Having only started seven games so far this year, Scholes is believed to be ready to hang up his boots for good.

His trophy haul includes 10 Premier League titles, two UEFA Champions League titles and three FA Cups. Zinedine Zidane, Edgar Davids and Xavi have all said that Scholes is the best midfielder they had ever faced. He has made 710 appearances in all competitions for United, since making his debut in a League Cup match at Port Vale in 1994. 

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Brandao Faces One-Month Suspension for Head-Butt     
Bastia striker Brandao has been provisionally suspended until Sept. 18 by Ligue 1's disciplinary committee and ...
QPR Adds Two World Cup Players     
Queen Park Rangers on Friday confirmed the signing of Chile forward Eduardo Vargas on a season-long ...
Neymar Suffers Ankle Sprain    
Barcelona forward Neymar has picked up an ankle sprain in training and will be out of ...
Conte: 'We're Counting on' Rossi     
Antonio Conte said he is "counting on" New Jersey native Giuseppe Rossi as he draws up ...
Balotelli-Liverpool Talks Continue    
Mario Balotelli has arrived in Liverpool for a medical ahead of his expected 16 million pound ...
Report: Top Clubs Opening US Academies     
The AP reports that South American and European soccer powerhouses are opening full-time soccer academies across ...
Legia Loses CAS Appeal     
Legia Warsaw has said it will sack the administrator blamed for the clerical error that resulted ...
Report: BVB's Sponsors to Buy Stakes     
Borussia Dortmund on Thursday announced that the club would issue up to 24.5 million shares in ...
Simeone: Atletico Can't Compete with Real, Barca    
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Atltico Madrid coach Diego Simeone emphasized that despite ...
Dzeko Signs Four-Year Man City Contract     
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko on Thursday signed a new four-year deal with the defending Premier ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives