Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Milan Players Abandon Friendly After Racist Chants
Independent, January 4th, 2013 11AM

MOST READ
TAGS:  italy

MOST COMMENTED

AC Milan players, led by midfielder Kevin-Prince Boateng, abandoned a friendly against Pro Patria from Italy’s fourth division on Thursday due to racial abuse. After just 26 minutes of the game, during which a number of Milan players were subjected to racially abusive chanting, Boateng picked up the ball and kicked it into the crowd, then he took off his shirt and walked off the field. Players from both teams walked off with him.

After the game, Milan coach Massimiliano Allegri said that Boateng, who has been widely supported for his actions, had been right to make a stand. "Walking off was the right choice when faced with something like this," Allegri said. "We need to stop these uncivil gestures. Italy needs to improve and become better educated and more intelligent. We are sorry … but we could not make any other decision."

Milan director Umberto Gandini also backed Boateng. "It is so sad but we had to give a strong signal," he said. "Very proud of all Milan players for their decision."

The Italian soccer federation said it is investigating the incident.

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Scolari Gets a Job    
Luiz Felipe Scolari, who resigned as Brazil coach after its disastrous 2014 World Cup campaign, has ...
World Cup Runner-up Coach Steps Down    
Alejandro Sabella, who guided Argentina to the World Cup final in Brazil, has decided to quit ...
Ronaldinho on the Move    
Former World Player of the Year Ronaldinho has left Atletico Mineiro. The 34-year-old former Barcelona, AC ...
Beer Approved in the Big House    
Normally, alcohol sale and consumption is strictly forbidden inside the University of Michigan's stadium, but beer ...
Sturridge Wishes Suarez Well    
Daniel Sturridge says he'll need some help from his teammates if the departure of the Uruguayan ...
Liverpool Signs Belgian Teen Star Striker    
Liverpool has signed of 19-year-old Belgium striker Divock Origi, whose goal against Russia sent the Red ...
Tevez's Kidnapped Father Released    
Juan Alberto Cabral, the father of Juventus' Argentine striker Carlos Tevez, was kidnapped and released eight ...
Atletico Madrid Signs Young French Star    
Spanish La Liga champion Atletico Madrid has acquired 23-year-old French World Cup winger Antoine Griezmann from ...
Cuauhtemoc Blanco Makes Comeback at 41    
Former Mexico striker Cuauhtemoc Blanco has returned to the top flight of Mexican soccer at the ...
Jack Wilshere Regrets Having a Smoke    
What happens in Vegas doesn't always stay in Vegas. Arsenal midfielder Jack Wilshere was caught on ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives