Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Odemwingie's Embarrassing Non-Transfer to QPR
BBC Sport, February 1st, 2013 10:56AM

MOST READ
TAGS:  england

MOST COMMENTED

By far the most bizarre episode of transfer deadline day occurred at Loftus Road on Thursday, as West Bromwich Albion striker Peter Odemwingie showed up at the home of Queens Park Rangers thinking the two sides had worked out a transfer fee, when in fact, they had not. The 31-year-old arrived thinking he was about to discuss personal terms, but was instead turned away.

"I am a very emotional person who sometimes doesn't think," Odemwingie told Sky Sports News on Friday. "I will still leave the club. It is only a matter of time." The Nigerian, who wrote a letter to West Brom management last month asking for a transfer, was turned away when he appeared at the club’s training ground on Friday; he was told to return next week.

"It was unfortunate really. Wires got crossed somewhere," QPR coach Harry Redknapp said of the incident. "We were trying to sign him and the lad thought a fee had been agreed between the two clubs. It hadn't - there was still some haggling going on. He's a good lad - it was just a mistake. That one is dead."

Following the Thursday’s events, West Brom Chairman Jeremy Peace was outspoken in his contempt of Odemwingie’s actions. "Peter has acted wholly unprofessionally,” he said. “The only way we would have considered letting Peter leave was if an acceptable offer was forthcoming and if we had found a suitable replacement at relatively short notice.” Peace added: “Neither materialized and, in the end, the matter became a point of principle as much as anything. He must now accept the fact he remains under contract for a further 18 months and has to focus on his Albion commitments."

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
LVG: Falcao "Has to Prove Himself"    
Manchester United coach Louis van Gaal has responded to criticism over dropping Radamel Falcao by claiming ...
Report: Adidas to Assist Messi Move?    
According to Spanish sports daily AS, Lionel Messi's sponsor Adidas could be the key to the ...
Mourinho Questions Man City's Transfer Policy     
Chelsea coach Jose Mourinho suggested that rival Manchester City is not adhering to UEFA's Financial Fair ...
Toure Admits Man City Future in Doubt     
Speaking ahead of the opening games of the African Nations' Cup in Equatorial Guinea this weekend, ...
Ronaldo Blasts 'Defensive' Atleti Tactics    
Cristiano Ronaldo blasted Atletico Madrid for its unattractive style after the Rojiblancos ousted Real Madrid from ...
Fabian Johnson's 'Spat' with 'Gladbach Coach Favre    
According to Bild, USA defender Fabian Johnson is in a "spat" with Borussia Monchengladbach coach Lucien ...
Serie A to Introduce Goal-Line Technology     
Serie A will introduce goal-line technology next season after the Italian soccer federation (FIGC) gave its ...
Ronaldo: Cristiano Junior Prefers Messi     
Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, who on Monday was named the 2014 Ballon D'Or winner, revealed ...
Debuchy to Miss Three Months     
Arsenal coach Arsene Wenger on Wednesday revealed that right back Mathieu Debuchy is set to miss ...
Spurs Fights Back to Win Third-Round Replay     
Tottenham on Wednesday fought back from two goals down to beat Burnley, 4-2, in an FA ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives