Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
Jack Warner finally calls it quits
by Paul Kennedy, April 23rd, 2013 1:04AM
Subscribe to Soccer America Daily

MOST READ
TAGS:  fifa

MOST COMMENTED

[CONCACAF INVESTIGATION] "T&T Sick" is the headline in this week's Business Express, Trinidad & Tobago's business journal. It refers to the state of the T&T economy, but it might as well have referred to how it views the Jack Warner affair. After years of fraud allegations that filled Trinidadian newspapers, Trinidad & Tobago finally got sick and tired of the former Concacaf president, who resigned under pressure Sunday night as the country's minister of national security.

Warner's resignation came two days after a Concacaf investigation revealed widespread fraud on the 70-year-old Warner's part. Warner's resignation, under pressure from the government of Prime Minister Kamla Persad-Bissessar, came only 48 hours he dismissed the charges as baseless and said he'd continue to sleep very soundly at nights.

The most serious charges concerned the $25.9 million Havelange Centre for Excellence, built with Concacaf money it obtained on loan from FIFA. Concacaf believed it owned the soccer center, but money used to fund the project went into Warner's personal account and he, not Concacaf, owned the land on which the center was built.

"I left Concacaf and turned my back on football two years ago," Warner said on Friday. "Since then, I have had no interest in any football-related matter. Concacaf's report today is of no concern to me and as far as I am aware it is baseless and malicious. If after 20 years of being the president of Concacaf, all its committee could have found is some baseless claim against me involving the Center of Excellence, then I will continue to sleep very soundly at nights."

American Chuck Blazer, who served as Concacaf general secretary under Jack Warner during his tenure as Concacaf that began in 2011, were both savaged in the Concacaf investigation into their tenure that was released on Friday.

Warner quit two years in the aftermath of the 2011 Caribbean Football Union meeting at which sealed brown envelopes containing $40,000 in cash were offered as a gift to those in attendance to hear Qatari Mohamed bin Hammam talk about his bid to unseat Blatter. Blazer blew the whistle on Warner and bin Hammam.

Other charges against Warner included misappropriating $1 million in FIFA money earmarked for a reconstruction project in Haiti and pocketing $462,000 for an artificial field at the Havelange Centre for Excellence from Australia's 2022 World Cup bid committee.

There was little doubt in T&T soccer circles about Warner's guilt.

Trinidad and Tobago Football Federation (TTFF) president Raymond Tim Kee described the evidence in the Concacaf report issued by former Barbados judge Sir David Simmons as overwhelming.

“I thought that the head of the Integrity committee, Sir David Simmons, was particularly unambiguous in his statement was when he alluded to things such as fraudulent,” Kee said. "This is not a happy day for Trinidad and Tobago nor is it a happy day for me… I want to make something categorically clear in that (…) I intend to observe all the best practices in the conducting of business of any organizations: accountability, transparency, all-inclusiveness… I thought the evidence produced was overwhelming.”



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
Tab Ramos names U-20 roster for Costa Rica friendlies     
Coach Tab Ramos' 20-player U.S. U-20 national team roster for friendlies at Costa Rica Dec. 17 ...
USL: Roughnecks hire Vaudreuil as head coach    
David Vaudreuil, who started all five playoff games on D.C. United's 1997 MLS championship team, was ...
MLS Expansion: LAFC links up with OC    
LAFC, slated to begin play in MLS in 2018, has reached an agreement with the USL's ...
MLS Moves: 'Caps decline option on captain Morales    
After struggling with injuries the past two seasons, Chilean Pedro Morales has been officially cut loose ...
What They're Saying: Ashtone Morgan    
"It got to a point where it was harder to play at home than away." -- ...
MLS Moves: 'Burrito' is no longer on the RSL menu    
In 2017 at Rio Tinto Stadium the only place to get a burrito will be at ...
MLS Rewind: Midseason splurges prove tricky    
One of the strongest arguments for MLS switching seasons from a spring-to-fall to fall-to-spring calendar isn't ...
MLS Cup Countdown: Newcomers deliver for finalists    
Neither the Seattle Sounders nor Toronto FC would likely be in the 2016 MLS Cup without ...
Video Pick: Terrific volley for Porto by Mexico's 'Tecatito'    
Mexico's 23-year-old Jesus "Tecatito" Corona scored Porto's second goal in a 5-0 UEFA Champions League win ...
USMNT: Arena meets Bundesliga quintet    
Less than two weeks after taking the job, new U.S. national team coach Bruce Arena has ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives