Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySoccer World DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America ClassifiedsGame Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Suarez Accepts 10-Game Ban
ESPN FC, April 26th, 2013 1:18PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  england

MOST COMMENTED

Liverpool striker Luis Suarez on Friday accepted the 10-game ban he was given by the English Football Association for biting the arm of Chelsea defender Branislav Ivanovic during a Premier League game last weekend. The Uruguayan opted not to appeal the FA decision, which takes effect immediately, and instead issued a lengthy statement on his official Web site.

"I am truly very sorry about the incident with Branislav Ivanovic. I hope all the people who I have offended last Sunday at Anfield will grant me forgiveness and I again repeat my personal apology to Branislav,” Suarez said. “I would like to explain to everybody that I decided to accept the ban whilst 10 games is clearly greater than those bans given in past cases where players have actually been seriously injured, I acknowledge that my actions were not acceptable on the football pitch so I do not want to give the wrong impression to people by making an appeal.”

Liverpool managing director Ian Ayre also issued a statement on the club’s official Web site: "The charges against Luis were his to consider and we have to respect his decision to not appeal the 10-game ban. We are all disappointed at the severity of the punishment and in particular the differing standards that have been applied across various previous incidents ... We are committed to helping [Luis] improve his conduct and he will be given our full support. We look forward to him returning to the team next season when he is available for selection."

Meanwhile, earlier in the day, Liverpool coach Brendan Rodgers said he would understand if Suarez decided to leave England this summer because of the ban. "Yes, I do understand, 100 percent," he said. "Each time he makes a step forward we find ways to beat him with a stick and beat him down. I can understand if he felt like that [wanting to leave England] in a moment of reflection.”

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Youth soccer fights back against 49ers    
Northern California youth soccer advocates, including Santa Clara Youth Soccer League President Tino Silva, have launched ...
Cal South TOPSoccer Program Turns 25    
"We're all soccer players, special needs or not," says Sandy Castillo, chair of the Cal South ...
How Neymar Played in Childhood     
Neyrmar: "I used to pick up the ball, set up the furniture and go around dribbling ...
Roma Partnering with U.S. Youth Clubs    
Italian Serie A club Roma, which has American ownership, aims to forge partnerships with seven U.S. ...
LVG: Falcao "Has to Prove Himself"    
Manchester United coach Louis van Gaal has responded to criticism over dropping Radamel Falcao by claiming ...
Report: Adidas to Assist Messi Move?    
According to Spanish sports daily AS, Lionel Messi's sponsor Adidas could be the key to the ...
Toure Admits Man City Future in Doubt     
Speaking ahead of the opening games of the African Nations' Cup in Equatorial Guinea this weekend, ...
Ronaldo Blasts 'Defensive' Atleti Tactics    
Cristiano Ronaldo blasted Atletico Madrid for its unattractive style after the Rojiblancos ousted Real Madrid from ...
Fabian Johnson's 'Spat' with 'Gladbach Coach Favre    
According to Bild, USA defender Fabian Johnson is in a "spat" with Borussia Monchengladbach coach Lucien ...
Serie A to Introduce Goal-Line Technology     
Serie A will introduce goal-line technology next season after the Italian soccer federation (FIGC) gave its ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives