Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
'Whistle-blower' Blazer himself barred from soccer
by Paul Kennedy, May 6th, 2013 5:30PM
Subscribe to Soccer America Daily

MOST READ
TAGS:  fifa

MOST COMMENTED

[FIFA] American Chuck Blazer, the most senior American official at FIFA and the "whistle-blower" on the Caribbean vote-buying scandal that resulted in the resignation or expulsion of two confederation presidents, has himself been provisionally suspended for 90 votes, meaning he wouldn't be able to serve out his term as a member of FIFA's executive committee that expires later this month.

FIFA suspended Blazer, the former Concacaf general secretary, for 90 days "based on the fact that various breaches of the Code of Ethics appear to have been committed." He is barred from taking part in "any kind of football-related activity" during that period.

The adjudicatory chamber of FIFA Ethics Committee opened investigation proceedings against Blazer, 68, in response to a report filed by the Concacaf Integrity Committee last month.

The FIFA statement:

"The decision was taken following a request made by the acting deputy chairman of the investigatory chamber of the Ethics Committee, Robert Torres, based on the fact that various breaches of the FIFA Code of Ethics appear to have been committed by Chuck Blazer and that a decision on the main issue could not be taken early enough."

Blazer announced in February his plans to quit his seat on the FIFA executive committee in May. He was accused of taking millions of dollars in commissions from Concacaf without a contract and renting an apartment in New York "for no business reason" and attempting to buy property in the Bahamas worth $4 million using Concacaf money.

Blazer was also said to be "entirely negligent" in failing to file U.S. income tax returns for Concacaf, leading to the body losing its tax-exempt status as a non-profit organization.

He resigned as Concacaf's general secretary in 2011 after serving with the body for 21 years. He was first elected to the FIFA executive committee in 1997. He will be succeeded by fellow American Sunil Gulati on the executive committee.

To the question of do you have an idol in soccer on his FIFA bio, Blazer says, "Yes, but not a player, a majestic symbol of elegance in our sport, Dr. Joao Havelange."

Only last week was it announced the 96-year-old Havelange was forced to resign his position as honorary president after a FIFA Ethics Committee report confirmed what had been suspected for years -- Havelange, his former son-in-law, Brazilian Ricardo Teixeira, and former South American confederation president Nicolas Leoz had taken millions of dollars in bribes from defunct marketing agency ISL.

Also last week, the FIFA Ethics Committee banned FIFA executive committee member Vernon Manilal Fernando from soccer for eight years, bringing to nine the number of FIFA executive committee members (out of 25) who have been kicked out of soccer, quit amid scandal charges or were reprimanded in the last three years.



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
MLS Moves: Ian Harkes doesn't stray from D.C. backyard    
Missing out on a MAC Hermann Award winner who just happens to be the son of ...
MLS Expansion: San Diego stadium part of $1B project    
Timing is everything, and Sunday's USA-Serbia friendly at Qualcomm Stadium will give proponents of an MLS ...
MLS Camp Chatter: Diskerud not in NYCFC mix    
U.S. international Mix Diskerud, who did not play for New York City FC after June 2 ...
USMNT: Three players depart January camp    
FC Dallas midfielder Kellyn Acosta and defender Matt Hedges both left the U.S. men's national team ...
What They're Saying: CAF spokesperson Junior Binyam    
"CAF has taken action but we can't certify 100 percent it will not happen again. Even ...
Video Pick: Goals Galore by Wayne Rooney    
Sky Sports put together a compilation of Wayne Rooney's best goals for Everton, Manchester United and ...
Roster: Namazi calls in 28 for U.S. U-18 boys camp    
Coach Omid Namazi has named a 28-player roster for the first U.S. U-18 boys national team ...
Christian Pulisic extends his Borussia Dortmund contract    
Christian Pulisic, whose original contract with Borussia Dortmund ran through the 2018-19 season, has signed a ...
What They're Saying: Adam Straith    
"I had never even worn keeper gloves. That was the first time. I think you could ...
MLS players get all four goals for Canada in 4-2 win    
The Toronto FC trio of Jay Chapman, Jonathan Osorio and Tosaint Ricketts and the Montreal Impact's ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives