Join Now |
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
'We love you forever and ever, Estados Unidos'
by Mike Woitalla, October 16th, 2013 1:14AM

MOST READ
TAGS:  mexico, video, world cup 2014

MOST COMMENTED

[VIDEO PICK: Off the Post] As the games were winding down, and Mexico looked headed for elimination from World Cup contention, Mexican TV showed a split screen of the Panama-USA and Costa Rica-Mexico games. The very emotional commentator left no doubt that there's a lot of gratitude from south of the border for the USA.

After Graham Zusi's goal saved Mexico, which can now reach Brazil 2014 via a playoff against New Zealand, the announcer broke into English: "We love you! We love you forever and ever! God Bless America!"

He follows that up with ripping into those in the green shirts, screaming at the Mexican players that all credit goes to the USA ...

37 comments
  1. Garrett Isacco
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 7:23 a.m.
    For US fans, the agony of victory!

1. Andy Maier
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 7:40 a.m.
    Does this mean they won't throw piss on us in Azteca now? I still wish they'd been eliminated. The only time I've regretted a victory...

1. David Mozeshtam
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 8:06 a.m.
    Whatever happened to all the posters here who just a few months ago were proclaiming a huge gape between Mexico and USA? They were right, after all -- an 11 point gap.

1. Mark Hardt
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 9:34 a.m.
    I was thinking the same thing that I would not care if US lost this one time. Having said that I am happy for Johannsson who might have saved his spot in Brazil. This is a guy dominating the Dutch league and is a true European top notch striker who can calmly pick the corner like he did last night.

1. Joseph Pratt
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 10:02 a.m.
    LOVE the announcer ripping the Mexican side, great stuff!

1. Emiliano Zapata
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 10:19 a.m.
    USA Players showed proffessionalism, and unlike posters here, class. They came out to do what they were supposed to do and what is expected of them unlike Mexico. For people that cry and cry about getting piss thrown on them you guys sure dont show much class to counter that behavior. Instead you hope for USa to throw a game. Yea that will get you somewhere.

1. cisco martinez
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 11:39 a.m.
    I am waiting for Mexico to have a holiday celebration on the 4th of July.

1. JAY TEWS
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 11:46 a.m.
    Saying that you might have: "regretted a win" is not at all the same as "hope for USa to throw a game." Emotions are flowing both ways here. And getting piss thrown on you somehow brings that out in some people, imagine that?

1. C Marshall
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 11:48 a.m.
    The USA is not going to throw a game to keep a team out. It goes against the spirit of competition. Everyone on that field likes to compete. Also, USA is a deep team and all those guys are fighting hard for a place on world cup team. I felt bad for Panama, but glad to see that Mexico still has a shot at World Cup. I think they have a much better chance than Panama of representing CONCACAF well at the World Cup. They have time to right the ship by next summer. I am more worried about them beating New Zealand in a month, since they probably won't have time to turn things around by then. New Zealand isn't a push over either. They were the only team that went undefeated at the 2010 World Cup. Go USA!

1. Daniel Clifton
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 12:09 p.m.
    The USA did the only thing they could do, they went for the win. The only way a competition like this can be fair is when every team goes for it right to the last game. How else could it be fair for Mexico this time around as it was for Honduras in the last Hexagonal. I personally root for Mexico when they don't play the US. I don't know why we don't root for the best teams to represent con scar in the World Cup. That doesn't make it OK to dump piss on anyone for any reason.

1. Kent James
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 12:15 p.m.
    Although rationally, it is better for CONCACAF (and therefore, the US) for Mexico to go to the WC instead of Panama (assuming Mexico regains its form), I found myself cheering the Panamanian second goal. The mood in the stadium (after they found out that Costa Rica had scored) was infectious. I feel bad for the Panamanians that the US was able to come back and score, though I'm proud that they did so. I think there should be a "small nations" world cup, to give the nations that really have no chance to play for true world cup something to play for. Sort of the way the UEFA cup serves as an alternative to the Champions league. I'd suggest a population limit of the lower half (third?) of the world's population. Any small nations that previously qualified for the WC finals would only be allowed to enter after failing to qualify for 2 cycles. Large nations without soccer traditions (like India) would be accepted until they qualified for regular WC (or won the small nations WC).

1. Eric Piazzoni
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 12:39 p.m.
    Mexico still hasta get by NZ next month. The way they've been playing this summer, a trip to Brazil for our neighbors is far from a done deal.

1. Emiliano Zapata
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 12:53 p.m.
    I am a die hard Mexico and USa fan. I am ashamed to say I rooted for Panama to lose or tie. Would have served Mexico and Concacaf in general better for Mexico to get eliminated. This would force the Mexican Federation to focus more on getting things done right on this team instead of worrying how much money they would miss out on. This mentality is why Mexico always performs mediocre at World Cups. The emphasis isnt National Pride, get to Semis or win it all which they have shown very capable of doing on more than one occasion.

1. James Froehlich
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 1:51 p.m.
    I am definitely a fan of el Tri even though I hate the way some of their fans treat our players. However, I also remember their fans actually cheering for us in Azteca when El Tri was playing terribly. As much as my heart goes out to the Panamanians I am still astounded by their failure to pack it in after their go ahead goal -- what were they thinking???

1. ROBERT BOND
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 2:46 p.m.
    Yay! Does that mean we are not Gringos anymore, but los Hermanos del Norte?

1. David Mozeshtam
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 3:42 p.m.
    "Mexico always performs mediocre at World Cups" because Mexico is at best a mediocre soccer nation. It's a world power only in the eyes of some (many?) in the CONCACAF region. The rest of the world doesn't rate Mexico very highly, certainly no higher than the likes of Bulgaria, Korea, or Croatia (all of whom have done better than in Mexico in WC). Mexico's world cup performances have ranged from mediocre (the last few world cups) to plain embarrassing (like 1978 or '74 and '82 when they couldn't even qualify out of the very weak CONCACAF). Mexico has produced probably just one world-class player (Hugo Sanchez) in all its history.

1. Chris Sapien
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 5:09 p.m.
    An American Outlaw chant for you Mexico: To the tune "We are going to Brazil";......"You couldn't do it on your own, you couldn't do it on your own.....you couldn't do it, you couldn't do it, you couldn't do it on your own!"

1. Emiliano Zapata
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 5:57 p.m.
    Nah, you're still Gringos!!

1. Emiliano Zapata
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 6:04 p.m.
    David, there are many more world class soccer competitions other than the once every 4 years, FIFA World Cup, you know. Brazil & Argentina, World Cup winners, always know to show Mexico respect when they play them. Even when they are at their worse. Korea?? Really?? What has Korea done?? =Didnt Mexico win it all at last Olympics?? What does the rest of the world say about that competition?? Didnt England get heavily critisized by their own fans for their performance at these same Olympics on their own soil??? I guess winning U20 World Cup doesnt count either huh?? Maybe thats why so many pro scouts go to those. Korea and Bulgaria did well once in a World Cup. So that rates them higher than Mexico even though they have done nothing much else?? Ok. So by your standards USA is lower than Mexico as far as world competitions are concerned , right??

1. Chris Sapien
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 7:48 p.m.
    The argument that "it would serve them right" (or likewise), or "I hope they don't make the WC to teach the Federation a lesson", in regards to Mexico's fortunes is a bunch of crap....! Those statements are a coping mechanism of embarrassed little girls, who got their asses handed to them by the big bullies in concacaf....You would never hear a true American supporter surrender into that way of thinking! And if the argument that money is the driving force which infuences the decisions made by the mexico Federation is valid, how then do you explain the successes you yourself cited EZ? Doesn't the Federation, so many mexico fans blame for the senior teams pathetic showing, also govern the U-20s, Olympic and other international tournament teams?? (I know there's a new excuse on the way....stay tuned) And in reference to any comparison of World Cup successes between the US and Mexico, one phrase should do......Dos a cero!

1. Emiliano Zapata
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 9:58 p.m.
    What is crap is thinking the USA is "the Big bully of the Concacaf". It;s down right stupid. Who thinks they deserve that nickname?? A motorcycle riding Hillbilly?? A true American supporter thinks how exactly?? That the USA is great no matter how crappy the soccer actually is?? No, those are the Goofy American Supporters. The Real American Supporters like myself are happy to just "now" see some glimpses of good soccer that was zero before. What the MX Federastion does is let each coach make picks on what team they like or not like. Politics. Not seen at the younger levels for some reason. Ok. If hanging your hat on a 2-0 "one time" W.C. win makes you a Great American Fan then need say no mnore. We know what category you fall in. Call me when USA actually wins any W.C or at least qualifies in most of them consistently. Or what, can't the big bad bully qualify out of Concacaf for U20, U17 or Olympics consistently??

1. David Huff
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 10:48 p.m.
    I think it is funny as shit to tell you the truth. @ David, you do not give Mexico fair credit, their 2012 Olympic performance was top-notch and their game against Argentina in 2006 WC was arguably the best match of the entire WC.

1. Chris Sapien
    commented on: October 16, 2013 at 11:53 p.m.
    EZ, (or whoever you really are this time) realize, for once, you do not understand conversational English. "Big bullies" is what we refer to as "tongue in cheek" or "being facetious" moron, and it was referring to all the other five teams, since mexico couldn't manage to even beat one team twice. You've got some serious, ESL classes to sign-up for. When your boys get one of those "one time" WC wins over the USA, come call me.

1. Kent James
    commented on: October 17, 2013 at 12:18 a.m.
    Mexico has had great success internationally in the last few years (especially at the youth levels), but struggled mightily this year. I don't think this means Mexico suddenly has lost its ability to play soccer. I think it demonstrates that even in a region ostensibly as weak as CONCACAF, WC qualification should not be taken for granted. Yes, some of the Mexican fans were gloating a bit after Mexico beat the US in the previous Gold Cup (and some at the time, heck, even as recently as last spring, felt the US had lost its way), so part of me is pleased that Mexico is struggling. It's nice to knock 'em down a peg. But I hope the Mexico-US rivalry is maturing, not festering in its adolescent phase. Not all Mexican fans should be tainted by the ill-treatment meted out to US players by some Mexican fans in years past (just as I hope people from other countries do not characterize all Americans by the behavior of a few "ugly Americans"). Yes, I want the US to beat Mexico every time we play them, but I also respect Mexico, and want Mexico to represent CONCACAF with class, and beat every team outside the region they play. It would be nice if Mexicans recognize the favor we did them (even if our players weren't doing it as a favor, as some of their players pointed out), but that's okay. I do hope Mexico gets its act together soon, so that it can play up to its potential against New Zealand (and I hope, in the WC finals...where I hope we crush them if given the opportunity...). Ah, the joy of rivalries...let's take the high road.

1. Emiliano Zapata
    commented on: October 17, 2013 at 7:45 a.m.
    Kent, well said. I can respect that. I dont think Mexico was gloating as much over the Gold Cup win than it was as much about winning the Olympics or U17 W.C. though. I think some of our USA fans are gloating about one win over Mexico in W.C. competition and not much else and that is defenitely not the high road my friend.

1. David Mozeshtam
    commented on: October 17, 2013 at 8:25 a.m.
    Emiliano, when did Mexico win the U20 world cup?? And their Olympic performance, due to the nature of the competition, doesn't impress me very much. In the past, the Olympics have been won by the likes of Nigeria, Cameroon, and East Germany -- none of them has ever been confused for a world power. Besides, ever since the late 80s when Mexico was disqualified from various competitions for fielding overaged players in youth tournaments, I'm a bit suspicious about their successes.

1. David Mozeshtam
    commented on: October 17, 2013 at 8:28 a.m.
    David Huff, it's funny you bring up the 2006 WC because Mexico barely made it out of the weakest group, just ahead of Angola and Iran. Whether their game against Argentina was the best of the tournament is of course your subjective opinion. One might argue that the best game of WC-02 was the USA-Germany quarterfinal. That doesn't make the USA any kind of a world power.

1. Emiliano Zapata
    commented on: October 17, 2013 at 12:40 p.m.
    David, they took U20's 3rd place in 2011. They won U17's that same year. The nature of the competition?? You mean that each country sends their best U23's along with their best 3 overage players ?? Brazil must have misssed that memo because they sent the very best they possibly had to those Olympics - Neymar, Hulk. So you gave the best examples possible to support your otherwise empty argument in African teams but yet it is no secret that Ghana, Nigeria, Cameroon are always some of the deepest teams in regards to individual talent. They just cant seem to put it together for World Cups at senior levels. You failed however to mention the 2 most successful teams at those same events - U17, U20, Olympics - Brazil and Argentina. Arent they favorites to win it all at the senior level every time?? those are better examples. Coincidence that they perform so well at all levels??

1. Emiliano Zapata
    commented on: October 17, 2013 at 12:42 p.m.
    Mexico is not a world power yet but due to recent results and the consistency they are a force to reckon with. Our USA team isnt at that point yet but there glimpses of hope and thats exiting.

1. Daniel Clifton
    commented on: October 17, 2013 at 2:36 p.m.
    I have to agree with Kent James that when Panama scored the second goal I was really feeling the passion and joy of the home crowd. It was a shame for Panama that they couldn't hold on to the lead. On the other hand you have to give it to the US team for hanging in there and scoring two goals right at the end of the game to pull out the win when they had nothing to play for except pride. Now Mexico has a second chance to redeem themselves. I hope they do. However with the way they are playing now beating New Zealand is definitely not a given. As I remember it New Zealand played tough in the last World Cup. It does show that you cannot take WC qualifying for granted. Costa Rica has always been tough, but now Hondurus is consistently playing at a high level. I never could see Mexico having this trouble. I was blind sided as I believe most soccer observers have been.

1. David Huff
    commented on: October 17, 2013 at 3:18 p.m.
    @David M, I watched just about every game in that WC 2006 and IMHO the Argentina-Mexico match showed the highest quality skill and competition, I thought for sure the game was headed to PKs until Maxi Rodriguez's "miracle goal" ended it. On NZ-Mexico, I like the chances of the boys from Aotearoa (Maori name for NZ), they will bring a physical pressuring type of football that Mexico does not do well under. I want to see Polynesia/Oceania represented in Brasil, so sorry Mexico, adios!

1. Matt D
    commented on: October 18, 2013 at 6:04 a.m.
    How has nobody addressed the important question here: Why is there a video of a cartoon dog sniffing around in the upper right corner of the video?

1. ROBERT BOND
    commented on: October 18, 2013 at 8:47 a.m.
    Viva Zapata? NON! Viva Kiwis! Los Tris non pasaran!

1. ROBERT BOND
    commented on: October 18, 2013 at 9:34 a.m.
    Actually, though, the way Canada were harrassed at their hotel all night before their match in Panama........

1. The Mexican
    commented on: October 18, 2013 at 9:59 a.m.
    Very comparable to how Mexican people are harrassed every day in some USA states, huh?? But not only at games but every freakin day!!

1. Chris Sapien
    commented on: October 18, 2013 at 2:26 p.m.
    @ mexican, Open window, throw-out credibility.....nicely done!

1. David Huff
    commented on: October 19, 2013 at 1:33 p.m.
    @Mexican, very comparable to how Nicaraguans, Guatelamans and other Central Americans are treated in some Mexican states, and not just at football games but every freakin' day!

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now