Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Man United Faces Fallout From Nazi-Like Newsletter Image
NBCNews.com, October 31st, 2013 1PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  england, manchester united

MOST COMMENTED

Manchester United is dealing with the fallout from sending out a newsletter last week that included a design resembling a swastika and a headline that uses the words “New Order,” which was a slogan used by Adolf Hitler’s Nazi party. On Sunday, the club apologized and said that the design of the “United Uncovered” newsletter, which is its official email program, was “completely inappropriate” and that “internal action” was being taken.

Apparently, the “New Order” headline was supposed to be a reference to the popular Manchester band of the same name, but it could also be taken as a reference to the European New Order that Hitler wanted to establish for Europe after World War II. Nevertheless, the image that appears above Adnan Januzaj’s head in the newsletter looks suspiciously close to a swastika.

Meanwhile, fans and other United observers were flabbergasted by the decision to print something that could be associated with Nazi Germany, with some even saying that their support for the club was now over. Said one advertising art director on Twitter: “I've done 1,000s of newsletters for major brands. How does that get through sign off?”

United’s Head of Media David Sternberg also took to Twitter to issue the club’s response. He said: “The creative is completely inappropriate; we apologize unreservedly and are taking appropriate internal action.”

Read the original story...


2 comments
  1. Dan Phillips
    commented on: October 31, 2013 at 2:08 p.m.
    I bet no one would have a problem if it was a hammer and sickle. Everyone gets apoplectic about nazism, but communism killed way more people. and they usually get a pass. So why the double standard???

  1. Footballer Forever
    commented on: November 1, 2013 at 4:41 p.m.
    That sure was a bad PR move from Manchester United, one of the Richest, well known and with a worldwide supported football clubs around the world. How did all this happend is what I want to know? It's not like an intern had full access to do as he please or that someone does not have to consult any of his superiors before it's submitted. Aside an "apology", a clear report to how this came about should be offered.


Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Legia Loses CAS Appeal     
Legia Warsaw has said it will sack the administrator blamed for the clerical error that resulted ...
Report: BVB's Sponsors to Buy Stakes     
Borussia Dortmund on Thursday announced that the club would issue up to 24.5 million shares in ...
Simeone: Atletico Can't Compete with Real, Barca    
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Atltico Madrid coach Diego Simeone emphasized that despite ...
Dzeko Signs Four-Year Man City Contract     
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko on Thursday signed a new four-year deal with the defending Premier ...
FA Investigates Mackay, Moody     
Crystal Palace sporting director Iain Moody resigned on Thursday as the English FA opened an investigation ...
Poyet: 'I've Never Seen Jozy as Happy as Now'    
Gus Poyet, speaking ahead of Sunderland's home clash against Manchester United this weekend, says that USA ...
Ronaldo Fit for Super Cup; Di Maria, Khedira Futures Uncertain    
Real Madrid coach Carlo Ancelotti on Thursday confirmed that Cristiano Ronaldo is fit enough to start ...
Balotelli to Join Liverpool     
AC Milan on Thursday confirmed that striker Mario Balotelli has said goodbye to the club's teammates ...
Report: Mackay Out of Palace Running    
Malky Mackay, who was considered a shoo-in for the vacant Crystal Palace job, is no longer ...
UEFA Investigates Tavecchio Comments    
Italian soccer federation (FIGC) president Carlo Tavecchio is being investigated by UEFA over an alleged racist ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives