Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
UCL: Juve, Real Pleased with a Point
UEFA.com, November 6th, 2013 4:17PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  italy, real madrid, spain, uefa champions league

MOST COMMENTED

Antonio Conte was upbeat despite the fact that Juventus fell to fourth place in UEFA Champions League Group B on Tuesday after drawing 2-2 with Real Madrid in Turin. Not only was the Juve coach pleased with his players’ performance, but Conte & co. also received some help in the other game, as FC Copenhagen beat Galatasaray 1-0, leaving the Bianconeri just one point behind both teams with two games to play.

Arturo Vidal opened the scoring in the 42nd minute from the penalty spot after Raphael Varane brought down Paul Pogba in the area. In the second half, Cristiano Ronaldo broke the record for most UCL goals in a calendar year by netting his 14th of 2013 in the 51st-minute following an awful giveaway from Martin Caceres. Nine minutes later, Gareth Bale put the visitor in the lead with a brilliant snap shot from Ronaldo’s pass. Fernando Llorente rounded off the scoring with a 67th minute header following Caceres’ perfect cross.

After the match, Conte praised his team’s fighting sprit. “I am happy because I saw my players fighting on the field, they were brave, they did not fear Real Madrid and this is what we have to do because we are growing up,” he said. “We deserve more points than we have, but when you face a team like Real Madrid, who have players that can turn the match around in a few minutes, there's not much you can do… We can play at their level – we had already proved that in Madrid two weeks ago.” He added: “We have something to say in this competition. I think we feel stronger after this game.”

Real coach Carlo Ancelotti was also pleased with the point. “I'm leaving here feeling satisfied with my team's second-half performance. The reaction was very good on our part. After the break we were much better in terms of courage and aggression. We defended very deep in the first half in order to control Pogba and [Claudio] Marchisio. We changed later in the game, with things improving after the restart."

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Brandao Faces One-Month Suspension for Head-Butt     
Bastia striker Brandao has been provisionally suspended until Sept. 18 by Ligue 1's disciplinary committee and ...
QPR Adds Two World Cup Players     
Queen Park Rangers on Friday confirmed the signing of Chile forward Eduardo Vargas on a season-long ...
Neymar Suffers Ankle Sprain    
Barcelona forward Neymar has picked up an ankle sprain in training and will be out of ...
Conte: 'We're Counting on' Rossi     
Antonio Conte said he is "counting on" New Jersey native Giuseppe Rossi as he draws up ...
Balotelli-Liverpool Talks Continue    
Mario Balotelli has arrived in Liverpool for a medical ahead of his expected 16 million pound ...
Report: Top Clubs Opening US Academies     
The AP reports that South American and European soccer powerhouses are opening full-time soccer academies across ...
Legia Loses CAS Appeal     
Legia Warsaw has said it will sack the administrator blamed for the clerical error that resulted ...
Report: BVB's Sponsors to Buy Stakes     
Borussia Dortmund on Thursday announced that the club would issue up to 24.5 million shares in ...
Simeone: Atletico Can't Compete with Real, Barca    
In an interview with La Gazzetta dello Sport, Atltico Madrid coach Diego Simeone emphasized that despite ...
Dzeko Signs Four-Year Man City Contract     
Manchester City striker Edin Dzeko on Thursday signed a new four-year deal with the defending Premier ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives