Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Santos to Sue Neymar Sr
ESPN FC, January 30th, 2014 2:29PM

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

The fallout from Neymar-gate continues, as Brazilian giant Santos on Thursday said the club plans to take Neymar Sr. to court in order to claim a share of the 40 million euros ($54 million) he received as part of his son’s move to Barcelona last summer. According to ESPN, Neymar Sr. says the 40 million was actually a “penalty clause” that was owed to the Neymar family as a result of the Brazil international moving to the club 12 months earlier than had been previously agreed.

However, Santos is complaining that it only received 17.1 million euros ($23 million) for its former player, which the club adds that it had to split with third-party investors DIS Esporte and Teisa. The Brazilian giant claims notes that the stated transfer fee of 57 million euros ($77.3 million) is false, because 40 million of that total never went to the selling club.

In an interview, Santos president Odilio Rodrigues said he believed the full fee to have been 17.1 million euros, with no idea where the other 40 million came from. “A difference of 40 million makes everyone suspicious,” Rodrigues said, adding that former president Sandro Rosell, who stepped down last week following the opening of an investigation into the transfer, had told him there was a 40 million euro payment to another company (Neymar Sr.’s company N&N) that was a private affair that did not concern the Brazilian club. Now, Rodrigues claims that Santos, as the selling club, deserves to see full documentation surrounding the transfer, because it only saw a portion of the stated total. “Santos is going to file a complaint and expect a response,” he said.

Separately, ESPN is also reporting that DIS, one of the third parties mentioned above, is threatening legal action against Barca and Neymar Sr, too. Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Report: Clasico to Break Records     
AS reports that Saturday's Clasico between Real Madrid and Barcelona at the Bernabeu in Madrid will ...
Dunga Names Neymar Brazil Captain    
Brazilian national team coach Dunga on Friday revealed that Neymar will retain the captain's armband when ...
Reports: Lampard Could Extend City Stay     
According to reports in England, Frank Lampard could be able to stay on loan at Manchester ...
Pogba Signs Three-Year Extension with Juve    
Juventus midfielder Paul Pogba on Friday signed a new deal that will keep him at the ...
Rio Ferdinand to Retire This Season    
Former England captain and Queens Park Rangers defender Rio Ferdinand has said he plans to retire ...
Garcia: Roma Must Respond Following Bayern "Accident"     
AS Roma coach Rudi Garcia on Friday admitted that his team has a long way to ...
Mourinho: Costa Could Play Against Man United    
Jose Mourinho on Friday revealed that Chelsea striker Diego Costa could play at Manchester United on ...
Enrique: Suarez to Make Barca Clasico Debut     
Barcelona coach Luis Enrique on Friday confirmed that Luis Suarez will play in Saturday's Clasico vs. ...
Sporting Demands UCL Replay     
Sporting Lisbon has lodged a formal complaint with UEFA demanding a replay of its UEFA Champions ...
FIFA Rankings: USA Falls to 23rd    
Jurgen Klinsmann's USA fell six places to 23rd in FIFA's international rankings following a pair of ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives