Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
Chicago wins Benji Joya lottery
February 5th, 2014 4:07PM
Subscribe to Soccer America Daily

MOST READ
TAGS:  americans abroad, chicago fire, mexico, mls

MOST COMMENTED

[MLS 2014 TRANSACTIONS] The Chicago Fire won the rights to midfielder Benji Joya in a weighted lottery. The U.S. U-20 will join the Fire on a one-year loan with a transfer option from Mexican club Santos.
 
“Benji is a talented young player,” said Chicago head coach and director of soccer Frank Yallop. “He has international experience and will be a great addition as we continue to build and strengthen our squad.”
 
Joya, 20, was one of the top players on the USA's 2013 Under-20 World Cup team but was stuck on Santos' sub-20 team.

He played four games for Santos during the 2012-13 Mexican season, but he made no first-team appearances in the Liga MX in 2013-14. He played two games off the bench in the Copa MX, a cup competition in which most first division clubs use reserve players, and otherwise played for Santos in Mexico's sub-20 championship it won in December.

Joya attended Overfelt High School in San Jose, Calif., but chose Santos over college after finishing high school in 2011. He was also torn between staying at home -- where he helped his mother with her janitorial business -- and going to Mexico, where his parents were born.

Chicago (68% chances), Seattle (29%) and Real Salt Lake (3%) entered the lottery.


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
MLS Retirement: Concussions end Wahl's journey    
After suffering two concussions in 2016, Columbus Crew defender Tyson Wahl intends to retire at the ...
MLS Moves: Philadelphia's Barnetta will return to Switzerland    
Swiss international Tranquillo Barnetta, 31, will leave the Philadelphia Union at the end of the 2016 ...
CCL: Good night for MLS clubs in Central America    
The New York Red Bulls clinched a berth in the Scotiabank Concacaf Champions League quarterfinals for ...
Crowd Count: NWSL attendance jumps 10 percent    
Once again, the Portland Thorns led the NWSL in average attendance with a record 16,945 fans ...
What They're Saying: Carli Lloyd    
"People are only talking about the kneeling aspect of it. I think it becomes more of ...
MLS Moves: Dempsey will not play again in 2016    
The Sounders have shut down Clint Dempsey. General manager and president of soccer Garth Lagerwey announced ...
MLS Expansion: Atlanta United names Martino head coach    
The track record of high-profile international coaches in MLS isn't so good: Carlos Alberto Parreira, Carlos ...
Video Pick: James Corden comically coaches Arsenal    
James Corden, of "The Late Late Show" and "Carpool Karaoke" fame, takes charge of Arsenal for ...
What They're Saying: Prince Ali    
"Never has the need to combat racism and racial discrimination been more evident than it is ...
Video Pick: Hat trick by Chicharito    
Mexican striker Javier "Chicharito" Hernandez scored his second Bundesliga hat trick since joining Bayer Leverkusen in ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives