Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
Curitiba faces fate, problems in Cuiaba and Recife
February 17th, 2014 2:21PM
Subscribe to Soccer America Daily

MOST READ
TAGS:  brazil, world cup 2014

MOST COMMENTED

[WORLD CUP 2014 COUNTDOWN] Problems are popping up right and left for World Cup organizers. FIFA has set Tuesday as the day it will announce whether it will pull the plug on Curitiba and move its four group games to other cities. Meanwhile, a report suggested that the fire at the still-unfinished Arena Pantanal in Cuiaba caused far more damage than initially reported, and Recife announced it won't fund the Fan Fest, an integral part of the World Cup since its success at the 2006 finals in Germany.

Curitiba's Arena de Baixada is so far behind schedule that it has missed every deadline, according to FIFA secretary general Jerome Valcke. In January, Valcke said the stadium didn't need to be finished by Tuesday but those in charge of its construction had to show signs of progress.

In a joint statement released last week, the state of Parana, the city of Curitiba and local club Atletico Paranaense said everything that was needed had been done and the stadium would be finished in mid-April, two months before the start of the tournament but three after FIFA's original deadline for work at all stadiums to be completed.

Reuters reported on Sunday that state prosecutors in Mato Grosso state found the Oct. 25 fire had caused damage that would "compromise the overall stability of the construction," which is now scheduled to be finished in March.

On Monday, the World Cup organizing committee for the state of state of Mato Grosso stated that all necessary repairs were made after the engineer mentioned in the Reuters article visited the site in November 2013 and concentrated load and resistance tests on the stadium had been done by structural engineers.

In Recife, its secretary of sports, George Braga, said the city does not have the 11 million reais ($4.6 million) needed to fund the Fan Fest and will only authorize the event if private funding is found.

“Recife is all in favor of holding the World Cup and is on hand to help in any way it can,” Braga said. “But we’ve been thinking about the Fan Fest and came to the conclusion that we alone cannot bear the costs of it.”


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
What They're Saying: Jason Kreis    
"The importance of the win has nothing to do with the opponent,. It wasn't about me, ...
MLS Talking Points: Timbers will be tough to stop    
The Portland Timbers definitely left a wakeup call for the rest of MLS that they will ...
Video Pick: A forward flips out to beat keeper    
In Colorado high school ball, Columbine junior Dylan Prichett-Ettner won a one-on-one with ThunderRidge's goalkeeper thanks ...
What They're Saying: Jurgen Klinsmann    
"They need to get the job done in St. Vincent, and then see how we can ...
USMNT: Loss of Dempsey and Zardes complicates matters    
No captain Michael Bradley for Friday's game -- suspended for yellow-card accumulation -- we've known that ...
U.S. Abroad: Americans battle for top spot in Mexico    
Michael Orozco started and Paul Arriola was a late sub as Tijuana beat UNAM, 1-0, to ...
NWSL: Hope Solo granted 'personal leave'    
The Hope Solo saga took another turn on Saturday as her NWSL team, Seattle Reign FC, ...
MLS Week 25: Results & Standings    
Montreal ended Toronto FC's seven-game unbeaten streak (six wins and a tie) when Ignacio Piatti's goal ...
Video Pick: Wood strikes in Bundesliga debut    
It took 23-year-old American Bobby Wood, who scored 17 second division goals for Union Berlin last ...
U.S. Abroad: Johansson returns in crushing Bremen defeat    
Aron Johannsson returned to action in the Bundesliga for the first time in 11 months, starting ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives