Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Prandelli Responds to Controversial Italy Selections
AS, March 4th, 2014 1:19PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  international, italy, spain, world cup 2014

MOST COMMENTED

AS reports that Cesare Prandelli’s squad selection for Wednesday’s international friendly between Italy and Spain in Madrid has been beset by controversy. Speaking ahead of the midweek clash, the Italy coach was forced to defend his decision to call-up veteran defender Giorgio Chiellini, who has not played for Juventus in three weeks because of injury, as well as respond to questions about the decision to drop AS Roma midfielder Daniele De Rossi for punching striker Mauro Icardi during Roma’s 0-0 clash against Inter Milan over the weekend.

When asked to respond in particular to criticism from Juve coach Antonio Conte of his decision to add Chiellini to the squad, Prandelli said simply, "When I see a player on the field, or on the bench, I have the right, I repeat the right, to call him up.” He added: "I don't want to go argue with Conte. I congratulate him for his manager of the year award. I would have voted for him too."

Regarding the decision to drop Roma’s De Rossi, he said: "We have a code of ethics that we subscribe to. We should go to the World Cup prepared in terms of behavior. I don't want to arrive in Brazil and play with 10 men. I am the only judge of acts that might render you unavailable."

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Report: Man United Makes World Record Bid for Bale     
Manchester United submitted a blockbuster transfer bid for Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale on Tuesday, offering ...
AWOL Ronaldinho Receives Queretaro Warning    
Queretaro on Tuesday threatened to release Ronaldinho if the former two-time World Player of the Year ...
Zlatan Fury at Swedish Ranking Snub    
Earlier this week, Zlatan Ibrahimovic reacted angrily to finishing second on a list of top Swedish ...
Rodgers: Balotelli's Style Not Suited for Liverpool     
Brendan Rodgers on Tuesday suggested that Mario Balotelli's style is not best-suited to Liverpool's game, saying ...
Mourinho: No Chance of Signing Messi     
Jose Mourinho says that Chelsea has "no chance" of signing Lionel Messi from Barcelona, despite reports ...
De Laurentiis: 'Spectacular' Supercoppa Win     
Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis believes Italian soccer came out the real winner following Monday night's ...
Mourinho Hails 'Amazing' Blues     
Jose Mourinho described Chelsea's 2-0 win at Stoke City on Monday night as an "amazing" performance ...
Aguirre to Hold Press Conference About Game-Fixing Allegations    
The Japanese soccer association (JFA) on Monday confirmed that head coach Javier Aguirre, who was recently ...
Hummels Slams BVB's 'Rubbish' Away Record     
Manchester United target Mats Hummels has described Borussia Dortmund's first half of the season as "rubbish," ...
Fergie Hails Carrick, Rooney, RVP, De Gea    
Alex Ferguson thinks Michael Carrick, Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and David De Gea have enough ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives