[MAKING A LIST]Home Depot co-founder and Atlanta Falcons owner Arthur Blank, announced as the owner of the MLS club to begin play in Atlanta in 2017, is one of 10 men on the 2013 Forbes list of richest Americans who now have ownership interests in soccer.
He is one of six men on the Forbes list who own interests in an MLS club -- and the first to own outright an MLS expansion club. Five men on the list own interests in clubs abroad, while Stephen Ross, owner of the Miami Dolphins, owns RSE Ventures, which operates the Guinness International Soccer Cup in addition to putting on other international events.
Reflecting the growing interest of NFL owners in soccer, Blank is the seventh NFL owner to purchase a soccer interest.
Forbes 2013 List of Richest Americans:
RANK OWNER (SOCCER INTEREST) WEALTH
26. *Paul Allen(Seattle Sounders-minority owner) $15.8 billion
38. Philip Anschutz(LA Galaxy, Houston Dynamo-majority owner, Hammarby-minority owner, all via AEG) $10.3 billion
84. *Stan Kroenke (Colorado Rapids, Arsenal-majority owner) $5.3 billion
94. *Stephen Ross (Guinness International Soccer Cup via RSE Ventures) $4.8 billion
102. *Malcolm Glazer(Manchester United-majority owner) $4.5 billion
122. *Shahid Khan (Fulham), $3.8 billion
184. *Robert Kraft(New England Revolution), $2.9 billion
327. *Arthur Blank(Atlanta MLS 2017) $1.7 billion
327. John Henry(Liverpool, principal investor via Fenway Sports Group), $1.7 billion
352. Neal Patterson (Sporting Kansas City, principal investor via OnGoal LLC), $1.5 billion