David Moyes on Wednesday broke his silence after being fired as head coach of Manchester United on Tuesday morning, saying he “understands and shares” the frustration of the club’s fans, while suggesting that the squad needs to be overhauled in order to achieve more success. In a statement released by the League Managers Association (LMA), Moyes said:
“To have been appointed as manager of Manchester United, one of the biggest football clubs in the world, was and remains something of which I will always be incredibly proud. Taking charge after such a long period of continuous stability and success at the club was inevitably going to be a significant challenge, but it was one which I relished and never had a second thought about taking on."
He added: "The scale of the manager's job at United is immense, but I have never stepped away from hard work and the same applies to my coaching staff. I thank them for their dedication and loyalty throughout the last season. We were fully focused and committed to the process of the fundamental rebuilding that is required for the senior squad. This had to be achieved whilst delivering positive results in the Premier League and the Champions League. However, during this period of transition, performances and results have not been what Manchester United and its fans are used to or expect, and I both understand and share their frustration.”
Meanwhile, LMA CEO Richard Bevan condemned the media for reporting that Moyes would be fired even before the club had taken a decision. "The LMA is very disappointed with the nature of David's departure from Manchester United and to read extensive reports in the press, confirming David's sacking, before David himself had been spoken to officially by the club," he said.Read the original story...