Join Now |
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Jones: 'We showed people that we have a good team'
by Paul Kennedy, June 27th, 2014 12:46AM

MOST READ
TAGS:  germany, men's national team

MOST COMMENTED

[USA-GERMANY: Reaction] Four years ago, the USA reached the knockout stage with a 1-0 win over Algeria. This time, it advanced through the back door with a 1-0 loss to Germany. Still, U.S. players feel the team has improved from four years ago.

“I think we’re playing better," said goalie Tim Howard, one of only three players who started in both games." I see it from the back, our ability to open teams up, to possess the ball, to get at teams has been a big difference. Germany aside -- this was a tough game, they had a lot of possession and were always going to have a lot of possession -- I thought our passing movements have been good, I thought we’ve created chances, whether it’s been one or two today or a host of chances in other games. I really do think this team is better equipped to possess the ball and press teams.”

Clint Dempsey, another holdover from 2010, said the players have always believed in themselves even if most gave them little chance.

"I thought we put in a lot of work, showed a lot of character, even at times when weren’t playing the best ball," he said of the Germany match. "I thought we played really well last game. This game they had most of the possession. We were trying to keep shape, trying to do a better job when we got the ball to catch them on the counter and try to be a little bit better in the attacking third with our final passes. We just weren’t as sharp as we needed to be to get a goal today.”

Photo: Perry McIntyre/isiphotos.com

Jermaine Jones, one of the standouts in group play, said the USA's advancement demonstrated the quality of the team.

“Before this tournament started," he said, "no one was talking that America can come to the next round. It was always Portugal and Germany. We showed people that we have a good team and we have a good atmosphere in the group. Everything that the coach did before the tournament, who he sent home and who he took for the team, I think was a good decision. The team showed heart and gave good feedback. Now for the next game, it’s the same tough game like Germany. They have a lot of experienced players, good players from different good clubs. It’s a knockout game and we have to see it like final."

The match featured a collision in the second half between Alejandro Bedoya and Jones.

“It was just a weird collision," said Bedoya. "I had the ball and knew what I wanted to do next, but I didn’t really see him actually and we just collided. I guess it looks pretty bad on TV. I’m doing alright. I guess my head hit his nose so I wouldn’t be surprised if it’s broke.”

Jones said he thought his nose was broken.

“I don’t remember very good what happened," he said, "if we come head on head or head-on-shoulder. The feeling was I think it’s broken. We’ll have to see when we come back to Sao Paulo what is with my nose. If I try to breathe now, I have no chance to breath. I feel that it’s broken, but we have to wait for what the doctor says.”

32 comments
  1. Gus Keri
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 9:32 a.m.
    "Everything that the coach did before the tournament, who he sent home and who he took for the team, I think was a good decision." Germaine Jones should not have said these thing at this time. He should've waited until the cup is over. People tend to read in between the lines. And my reading of this comment is not good for him.

1. A B
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 9:47 a.m.
    I understand what you're saying and it's a good point. I reality fro these guys it seems, they are much less sensitive and thin-skinned than the press or us fans and it's refreshing to hear what they actually think at times. Technically, they can say whatever they want whether diplomatic or not and it is nice to hear them support each other and their coach. I think they would all rather focus on the positives and the games and are tired of hearing about who is not there rather than the squad they have, which have done quite well all considered. Just a thought.

1. John Richardson
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 9:54 a.m.
    A tie that felt like a loss. A loss that felt like a win, all with out LD, as JK wanted it !

1. Albert Harris
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 10:04 a.m.
    Sarcasm Alert! Yeah, I'm sure this is exactly what JK wanted; to one-up LD. C'mon guys, lets move on. I think Donovan deserved to be there but JK didn't. He gets paid big bucks to make these decisions, right or wrong. We can discuss that later, but right now let's just all pull together because that's the only way we're going to win. We're certainly not going to "out-talent" anybody in our side of the draw. USA USA!

1. Dustin Johnson
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 10:06 a.m.
    Gus Keri what are you saying? Its called redemption, And its over, Donovans time has passed. There are great players coming through. World Class American players who will be better than Donovan who never at a world level, never. Are you really complaining now? The team has played in the shadow of leaving LD behind and now Klinsman has been proven correct. Can you fault Jermaine for speaking the truth? You should watch Frozen this weekend. Let it go.

1. Ginger Peeler
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 10:37 a.m.
    Why read between the lines to find something that isn't there? Remember this team's chances to go on to the next group were considered to be slim and none when this tournament began. And then we lost Jozy in the first half of the first game. While most of us figured the team was toast, Klinsmann rearranged the players and brought in Brooks. Brilliant! Everyone keeps talking about how every player has a backup except Jozy. I think JK had already taken playing without Jozy into account when he chose this team. We've played 3 different teams in 3 different styles. Everybody has questioned his starting lineups and his subs. But guess what? They've produced the result that most people thought was impossible. Klinsmann knows what every player is capable of and he expects them to hold nothing back when they hit the field. And they have produced! Did some of our favorite players fail to make the final cut? Yes. Has the team played well without them? Yes. They've gone on to the round of 16! Jurgen has taken 23 guys and made them a team. They believe in themselves and believe in each other and they have shown that belief on the field. If we had failed to advance, then we could all play the shoulda, coulda, woulda game. Instead, Klinsmann's looking like a genius. Believe...

1. cisco martinez
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 10:58 a.m.
    I was a big critic of Klinsmann leaving out Donovan, however Klinsmann has been vindicated in his tactics, the personale on the roster, and his ability to get players believing in him and in themselves; all of these are signs of a exceptional coach. His choice to put in Brooks the 2nd half against Ghana, Yedlin on the wing against Portugal's defense stretched them and left gaps in their defense, Gonzalez playing extremely well against Germany, and Klinsmann's 4-3-2-1 formation and defensive shape and our ability to counter when needed. Klinsmann earned his 4 year extension, his critics myself included show cherish Klinsmann and our National Team accomplishments.

1. The Sockerite
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 11:43 a.m.
    I have to agree with cisco martinez. I was also skeptical of the LD omission, inclusion of Julian Green, etc. Whatever happens in the next round, it's guaranteed that JK will be criticized for not going further; some will say we did well to advance but could have won more games (assuming we don't make it to the final!) with different personnel. But I'm ready to tip my hat to him. The US is always shooting to get out of the group stage and we did it. And we did not "back in" - the scheduling of the games was such that we got our best result at the beginning and the worst at the end, but we got enough points and with a comfortable goal differential. It only seemed like "backing in" because our narrow loss to Germany came on the last day, with the most attention on the team. The US was in a comfortable position and did not blow it in the end, nor did we overexert ourselves going for a Pyrrhic victory that could have left us exhausted and perhaps with injuries for the next round.

1. John Soares
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 12:50 p.m.
    I too was (and will continue to be) a JK critic on the "personal" LD decision. However that's aside from his coaching skills. I expect JK will have the team well prepared and a good (well chosen) starting 11 against Belgium a win would not surprise me at all!!! We should, and I'm will support/cheer for the team regardless of which players are on the field. Also do not agree with the "backing in" statements. USA did what they needed to do to advance in the so-called Group Death. That's an accomplishment not a "back-in". There are 16 teams on their way home that would have loved to "back in" and still be in Brazil. Including Giants Spain, England, Portugal, Italy....

1. Gus Keri
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 1:03 p.m.
    The issue of leaving LD behind has been discussed extensively before the cup started and being discussed during the cup and will be discussed after the end of the cup for few months if not for few year. Nothing will stop people from doing that. For us, fans, who are sitting home watching on TV, it's just a discussion that doesn't make any difference on the field. But for a player who is still playing, it's another matter. He should be focused on the job at hand and leave any controversial issue until after the cup. Jermaine Jones has been one of the stars of the team so far. He should honor his new status among American fans and shouldn't take advantage of it, trying to prove a point which he has no benefit in discussing at this time. The fact that he is one of those German-born players who started all the controversies put him at a disadvantage trying to defend his coach. And by the way, Dustin, I like that song and I actually "let it go." I avoided the discussions about Donovan for a while now. But I was upset when I read Jones' statement. It shouldn't have happened.

1. Andrea Hana
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 1:43 p.m.
    I agree with Jones. I think that Klinsmann made the right choices. Sorry, Landon, but it you want to take the "foot off of the pedal" just before the roster cut, you have to live with the consequences. I love this team. However, Bradley needs to step it up. He's not "himself". He can do better. He better! Belgium is coming!

1. Andy Wagner
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 2:05 p.m.
    The face of US soccer is exactly the way ESPN portrayed it when it signed off the air after the "Massive Game". It showed Jurgen with both fists in the air with a big smile on his face after another LOSS!!!!! If we cannot win the massive game, we will settle for just getting there. We Americans just won our World Cup...just getting there. This revolution began in 2002 and has not progressed....sorry.

1. StrikerBob Norman
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 3:08 p.m.
    Andy, you are exactly the kind of "supporter?" we don't need. Our objective was to get out of the group. The is what Jurgen was celebrating and so should you. "Massive?" That is the space between your ears. Go USA!

1. Chris Sapien
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 3:42 p.m.
    Andy, you neither appreciate nor understand, evidently, how much the circumstances were stacked against the US advancing. Two FIFA top four teams and the Africa continental champion in your group, the most arduous of all the 32 team travel schedules, losing the only holding striker in your 23 roster to relieve opponent pressure, and a backline with no WC experience, all with your linchpin not showing good form. (Klinns are u reading...?) Sad sometimes when people can't see the forest.

1. Ric Fonseca
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 3:42 p.m.
    Folks, players like coaches, and other team personnel have a right to express themselves, and now we find ourselves on the cusp of yet another relatively tough game. As for JJ's statement, I support his right to say whatever comes to his mind, yet I may not agree with it. I believe that Andrea Hana said it best, especially re" Bradley's very dismal play, and as for LD, well again, Andrea is spot on that he "took the foot off the pedal," and so doomed his selection, besides folks have a sort of short-term memory, unless they didn't watch LD's tv interview before the cut, when he said that he (paraphrasing him) his body couldn't take the 12 hours training sessions on a daily basis. So let's put this imbroglio aside and enjoy and support our US MNT! GO USA, SI SE PUEDE!!!

1. soccer talk
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 3:52 p.m.
    This was first blog in awhile with A positive flow aside from the insatiable fan Andy. JK has done his as Bob said in getting To second round; especially given the Death Group. He was pumped and excited because We played well against a great team in Germany And we ADVANCED even with the Loss. Would u rather beat Germany and go home. Just happens that they were our last game. Win or lose JK will receive negative reviews From fans like Andy. Guarantee Klinsi will be wearing his goofy looking USA hat in the future Regardless what we think. He has done a great Jon given the challenge for a first term. Go USA!!!

1. Didi P
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 6:20 p.m.
    I like LD and think coach K should have kept him on the team. However, for those of you who think LD would have made such a big difference, you do realize that he couldn't even save LA Galaxy from losing to a semi-pro team, right?

1. John Hofmann
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 6:27 p.m.
    There were two wunder-kids playing for the U.S. in 2002. I'm not sure I've seen a single person, who has expressed lament for LD's elimination, saying anything about the fact that the other "kid", now I believe 32 (DB) was chosen and has been playing in Brazil, apparently even through the 12 hour workdays referred to above that LD had a problem. Either Beasley didn't have that problem, or he was playing a position that Coach K was less able to fill by someone else. If LD had troubles in the pre-Cup camp, he would have experienced significantly problems in Brazil, it would appear. Choices by JK were made based upon survival in Brazil, among other things. I've read a number of posts over the past few weeks that absolutely guaranteed the U.S. would fail, w/o LD (and several others who had passionate followers),and would be home with their tails between their legs after three games. My feeling is that JJ had a right to express his feelings, and indeed perhaps it needed to be said by a player(s) because of all the BS that had erupted (erroneously) about the team over the past few weeks.

1. Scott O'connor
    commented on: June 27, 2014 at 10:26 p.m.
    Whatever all the Landon lovers want to say.... I never found myself in any of the 3 games going, "gee I wish Landon could be on the field right now". That's a fact. I didn't miss LD at all. We made it thru the GOD (Group of Death) without him. All the Landon Lovers need to get over it and move on. Landon seems to have from what I've seen of him commentating on TV. This shows real progress that we have a team without our best player ever, and they were able to advance. What a great sign for the growth of our team....

1. Chris Sapien
    commented on: June 28, 2014 at 2:51 a.m.
    "landon lovers" Scott, seriously? I have criticized him heavily over his allowing Klinns the out, by not controlling his own destiny with his wishy-washy attitude. But as a thoughtful soccer poster as you are, you know the talent that he possesses is exactly what we could have used in our struggles to hold-off Portugal, establish rhythm and possession vs. Germany, and maybe occupy enough of Ghana's midfield with his pace to keep them from the many shots on Howard. Instead we get Green, Davis and Chandler. Combined, they will never reach 1/5 of Donovan's production over their National careers in a weighted comparison. Hope I'm wrong.

1. Ginger Peeler
    commented on: June 28, 2014 at 4:22 a.m.
    Andy, I can name three teams that would have been delighted to "settle for just getting there": Spain, Italy and England.

1. Mark Hardt
    commented on: June 28, 2014 at 7:57 a.m.
    Kinsi's decisions are not perfect. I don't think Green will have any impact this World Cup and he was simply a fulfillment of a promise if Green switched sides. Legal but not good ethics especially when he threw the ethical book at LD for flaking on his trip to see the Dali Lama. But the other surprise Yedlin a University of Akron produt was a real win for Klinsi. The next step is to start him against Belgium and bring in Mix when he runs out of gas.

1. BJ Genovese
    commented on: June 28, 2014 at 10:10 a.m.
    Jones for captain! Radical Line up.. Jones Zusi Dempsey Yedlin Becks Bradley Beaslz Beasler Gonzo Johnson Howard

1. BJ Genovese
    commented on: June 28, 2014 at 10:12 a.m.
    That was top to bottom...left to right... yes... Jones at the top.

1. Albert Harris
    commented on: June 28, 2014 at 10:33 a.m.
    I'll have what BJ's drinking. Seriously though, Mark, bring on Yedlin for whom? Johnson, arguably our best field player after Jones in the group stage? If you're talking about Mix when he runs out of gas, I'd assume you see him in the midfield. Mix is a box to box type so are you suggesting Yedlin for Bradley? Don't think so. Yedlin on the right flank with Zusi swapping to the left? Maybe, but then his natural replacement after running out of gas would be Bedoya. Just wondering what starting XI you're suggesting.

1. Santiago 1314
    commented on: June 28, 2014 at 12:01 p.m.
    BJ is Smoking the Right Stuff.. Going to take something Radical to Beat Belgium

1. Santiago 1314
    commented on: June 28, 2014 at 12:20 p.m.
    Cameron, Dempsey, Bradley, Jones, PeckerHair, Zusi, Bee, Brooks, Gonzo, Johnson, Howard.. Or was that Howard Johnson??? Pancakes for ALL!!!

1. Allan Lindh
    commented on: June 28, 2014 at 12:26 p.m.
    Jones was backing his coach, buoying up his teammates, exactly what the most experienced man on the field should be doing. Who's checked to see if all these "experts" dishing him now, were the same ones who argued he shouldn't have been on team in first place? Too rough? Too tough? Without him in the midfield teams would just walk all over us, and I haven't seen a really bad tackle from him yet. He's a grown man, and he takes responsibility, something most of the "experts" on the site don't do, hiding behind nicknames.

1. Chris Sapien
    commented on: June 29, 2014 at 8:32 p.m.
    Listening for all of them right along with you, Allan! Huge Jones supporter here from day one, and especially when I watched him keep his cool in person as costa rica picked him out for aggressive tactical fouls in the snowbowl. Consummate professional! Read it people: Howard, Beasley Besler Cameron Fabian: Zusi Jones Bradley Yedlin: Dempsey Johannsson. Then first two off the bench Altidore Mix and Bedoya late to badger and hold the lead. No more three CBs Klinns.

1. M B
    commented on: June 30, 2014 at 9:27 a.m.
    This is all such a joke. The US team is a pitiful example of soccer players. Now, they might indeed be athletes. That I won't dispute. But being an athlete and being a soccer player (where skill and ability are supposed to matter) are two very different things. The only thing that saved the US is the utterly underperforming Portugal squad that came to Brazil with an obviously not yet ready for prime time Portuguese coaching staff. As is typical, when any squad gets roundly beaten in the first match, well, the team, the players, the coaching staff, and the belief of their fans just never recover. So it was with Portugal who had no one to provide even a smidgen of offense outside Di Maria and bits and pieces of Cristiano Ronaldo. For such a talented soccer nation of Portugal that so routintely provides top player prospects, this 2014 WC contingent from Portugal were utter losers. They were mentally already on short summer break/holiday after the end of the long Euro leagues season. THAT is the only reason the USA is still involved. It is not that there is any real merit to this group of USA/Germany players wearing red, white, and blue.

1. Chris Sapien
    commented on: June 30, 2014 at 12:51 p.m.
    Di Maria plays for Argentina, moron. And for your argument to hold any water, that would mean Italy, England, Portugal, Spain and the continental champs of Africa and Asia all have less talent than the US, since they couldn't even get out of their easier groups. Nice try though.

1. Tim Gibson
    commented on: July 1, 2014 at 9:18 a.m.
    My vote is for C.S. as the best "Counter-Poster" on this site, BRAVO! ;-) GO USA!

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now