Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Report: CAS Could Reduce Suarez Ban
Goal.com, July 24th, 2014 2PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  barcelona, italy, luis suarez, spain, uruguay, world cup 2014

MOST COMMENTED

An unnamed source from the Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS) tells Goal.com that Luis Suarez's four-month ban for biting could be reduced, allowing the newly signed Barcelona striker to play in the club’s first game of the 2014-15 La Liga season.

The 27-year-old Uruguay international was fined 100,000 Swiss francs ($111,000) and received a nine-match international ban in addition to being suspended for four months from "any football-related activities" by world governing body FIFA for biting Italy's Giorgio Chiellini during a World Cup group stage match in Brazil in June. After having his initial appeal against the punishment rejected by FIFA, Suarez has since signed for La Liga giant Barcelona, which decided to take the matter to the European Union’s Court of Arbitration for Sport.

A source from the CAS now says that while Suarez's ban from international soccer will remain in place, his four-month suspension would likely be reduced -- meaning he could be able to begin the new La Liga campaign with Barca. "Now that the case has arrived at CAS, it is very likely that we will reduce the penalty," the source said, adding: "The ban would only apply to the Uruguay national team and not to Barcelona."

Under the terms of his current suspension, Suarez is unable to train with his new team and cannot step foot inside any soccer training ground or stadium. His appeal against the four-month ban will be heard during the second week in August.

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Report: Man United Makes World Record Bid for Bale     
Manchester United submitted a blockbuster transfer bid for Real Madrid forward Gareth Bale on Tuesday, offering ...
AWOL Ronaldinho Receives Queretaro Warning    
Queretaro on Tuesday threatened to release Ronaldinho if the former two-time World Player of the Year ...
Zlatan Fury at Swedish Ranking Snub    
Earlier this week, Zlatan Ibrahimovic reacted angrily to finishing second on a list of top Swedish ...
Rodgers: Balotelli's Style Not Suited for Liverpool     
Brendan Rodgers on Tuesday suggested that Mario Balotelli's style is not best-suited to Liverpool's game, saying ...
Mourinho: No Chance of Signing Messi     
Jose Mourinho says that Chelsea has "no chance" of signing Lionel Messi from Barcelona, despite reports ...
De Laurentiis: 'Spectacular' Supercoppa Win     
Napoli President Aurelio De Laurentiis believes Italian soccer came out the real winner following Monday night's ...
Mourinho Hails 'Amazing' Blues     
Jose Mourinho described Chelsea's 2-0 win at Stoke City on Monday night as an "amazing" performance ...
Aguirre to Hold Press Conference About Game-Fixing Allegations    
The Japanese soccer association (JFA) on Monday confirmed that head coach Javier Aguirre, who was recently ...
Hummels Slams BVB's 'Rubbish' Away Record     
Manchester United target Mats Hummels has described Borussia Dortmund's first half of the season as "rubbish," ...
Fergie Hails Carrick, Rooney, RVP, De Gea    
Alex Ferguson thinks Michael Carrick, Wayne Rooney, Robin van Persie and David De Gea have enough ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives