Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySoccer World DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America Classifieds
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
FIFPro: Suarez Ban 'Unfair'
Reuters, August 8th, 2014 1:45PM

MOST READ
TAGS:  barcelona, fifa, italy, luis suarez, spain, uruguay, world cup 2014

MOST COMMENTED

FIFPro, the world union for professional players, on Friday called for Luis Suarez’s ban for biting to be reduced after the Barcelona and Uruguay striker’s appeal was heard by the European Union’s Court of Arbitration for Sport (CAS). According to Reuters, FIFPro said the ban was excessive and that Suarez had been "trialed and vilified in public" for biting Giorgio Chiellini during Uruguay’s World Cup match against Italy in June.

Following the incident, FIFA, soccer’s world governing body, handed Suarez a four-month ban from all soccer-related activity and suspended him for nine international matches, causing the Uruguayan soccer federation (AUF) to take the case to CAS, the EU’s highest court for sports, after the striker lost his appeal to FIFA. On Friday, CAS heard Suarez’s case and said a decision would likely be made before the end of next week.

In a statement, FIFPro said the Suarez sanctions represented “a disproportionate response to the offense," adding: "The four-month ban from all football-related activity... is unfair for Suarez as it infringes his right to work at club level. In the international arena, where the offense was committed, a nine-match ban for Uruguay is also too strong as it effectively equates to a two-year sanction."

If upheld, the ban means Suarez could not make his Barca debut until the end of October, while the international ban means the former Liverpool star would miss next summer’s Copa America in Chile, as well as several 2018 World Cup qualifiers.

Read the original story...


No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Section 2 Around the Net
Cal South TOPSoccer Program Turns 25    
"We're all soccer players, special needs or not," says Sandy Castillo, chair of the Cal South ...
How Neymar Played in Childhood     
Neyrmar: "I used to pick up the ball, set up the furniture and go around dribbling ...
Roma Partnering with U.S. Youth Clubs    
Italian Serie A club Roma, which has American ownership, aims to forge partnerships with seven U.S. ...
LVG: Falcao "Has to Prove Himself"    
Manchester United coach Louis van Gaal has responded to criticism over dropping Radamel Falcao by claiming ...
Report: Adidas to Assist Messi Move?    
According to Spanish sports daily AS, Lionel Messi's sponsor Adidas could be the key to the ...
Toure Admits Man City Future in Doubt     
Speaking ahead of the opening games of the African Nations' Cup in Equatorial Guinea this weekend, ...
Ronaldo Blasts 'Defensive' Atleti Tactics    
Cristiano Ronaldo blasted Atletico Madrid for its unattractive style after the Rojiblancos ousted Real Madrid from ...
Fabian Johnson's 'Spat' with 'Gladbach Coach Favre    
According to Bild, USA defender Fabian Johnson is in a "spat" with Borussia Monchengladbach coach Lucien ...
Serie A to Introduce Goal-Line Technology     
Serie A will introduce goal-line technology next season after the Italian soccer federation (FIGC) gave its ...
Ronaldo: Cristiano Junior Prefers Messi     
Real Madrid forward Cristiano Ronaldo, who on Monday was named the 2014 Ballon D'Or winner, revealed ...
>> Section 2 Around the Net Archives