Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
EPL Chief: Suarez 'an Accident Waiting to Happen'
BBC Sport, August 13th, 2014 12:44PM
Subscribe to Section 2 Around the Net

MOST READ
TAGS:  england, italy, luis suarez, uruguay, world cup 2014

MOST COMMENTED

English Premier League CEO Richard Scudamore, speaking at the official launch of the 2014-15 Premier League season, described Luis Suarez as accident waiting to happen and said that Liverpool was right to sell the striker, especially after the Uruguayan bit Italy defender Giorgio Chiellinion the shoulder during the World Cup this summer.

"I can't say that I'm sorry to see him go," Scudamore said. "At the end of the day, he's a great player and I'm not taking anything away from his talents. He was voted, by both his own players and the media last year, the player of the year. Deservedly so. Great to have, but an accident waiting to happen -- you are always waiting for the next thing to come along.

He added: "And this one, in the summer, although it was with Uruguay, although at the World Cup, although it didn't directly involve the Premier League -- clearly, Liverpool, as one of our great clubs, it reflected on them and it reflected on us. It was good business on a number of levels for Liverpool to move Luis Suarez on."

FIFA fined Suarez $67,000 and banned him from all soccer-related activity for four months in the wake of the incident at the World Cup, although the Uruguayan appealed the decision all the way to the Court of Arbitration for Sport in an effort to have the ban reduced. According to reports, CAS will release its verdict on the Suarez case on Thursday at 9 a.m. ET. Read the original story...



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

    ARCHIVES
    FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

    Recent Section 2 Around the Net
    Youth soccer fights back against 49ers    
    Northern California youth soccer advocates, including Santa Clara Youth Soccer League President Tino Silva, have launched ...
    Cal South TOPSoccer Program Turns 25    
    "We're all soccer players, special needs or not," says Sandy Castillo, chair of the Cal South ...
    How Neymar Played in Childhood    
    Neyrmar: "I used to pick up the ball, set up the furniture and go around dribbling ...
    Roma Partnering with U.S. Youth Clubs    
    Italian Serie A club Roma, which has American ownership, aims to forge partnerships with seven U.S. ...
    LVG: Falcao "Has to Prove Himself"    
    Manchester United coach Louis van Gaal has responded to criticism over dropping Radamel Falcao by claiming ...
    Report: Adidas to Assist Messi Move?    
    According to Spanish sports daily AS, Lionel Messi's sponsor Adidas could be the key to the ...
    Toure Admits Man City Future in Doubt    
    Speaking ahead of the opening games of the African Nations' Cup in Equatorial Guinea this weekend, ...
    Ronaldo Blasts 'Defensive' Atleti Tactics    
    Cristiano Ronaldo blasted Atletico Madrid for its unattractive style after the Rojiblancos ousted Real Madrid from ...
    Fabian Johnson's 'Spat' with 'Gladbach Coach Favre    
    According to Bild, USA defender Fabian Johnson is in a "spat" with Borussia Monchengladbach coach Lucien ...
    Serie A to Introduce Goal-Line Technology    
    Serie A will introduce goal-line technology next season after the Italian soccer federation (FIGC) gave its ...
    >> Section 2 Around the Net Archives