Join Now | 
HomeAboutContact UsPrivacy & SecurityAdvertise
Soccer America DailySoccer World DailySpecial EditionAround The NetSoccer Business InsiderCollege Soccer ReporterYouth Soccer ReporterSoccer on TVSoccer America ClassifiedsGame Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalkSoccer America ConfidentialYouth Soccer InsiderWorld Cup Watch
RSS FeedsArchivesManage SubscriptionsSubscribe
Order Current IssueSubscribeManage My SubscriptionRenew My SubscriptionGift Subscription
My AccountJoin Now
Tournament CalendarCamps & AcademiesSoccer GlossaryClassifieds
Hugo Perez is out as U-15 national team coach
by Mike Woitalla, August 27th, 2014 7:50PM

TAGS:  development academy, u.s. youth soccer, youth boys


[U.S. SOCCER] Hugo Perez has been informed by U.S. Soccer that he will no longer be coach of the U.S. U-15 boys national team. He will continue to serve as a U.S. Soccer technical advisor.

“It’s simple,” said Perez. “They want have someone else with the kids. I didn’t ask why. When your employer makes certain decisions, you have to be respect and accept them.”

Perez began coaching the U-14 national team in 2012 and moved up to the U-15 role in 2013. He serves as Technical Advisor for the Northwest Division, charged with identifying young talent and evaluating Development Academy clubs.

Five players from Perez’s U-15 squad have already moved onto the U-17 national team, coached by Richie Williams.

“I have no regrets,” said Perez. “I’m satisfied with the work we did. I’m grateful to have had the opportunity to work with these players. The biggest reward was seeing them play good soccer and seeing the players we pushed on play good soccer at the next level.”

In his role as a scout, Perez was credited by U-20 national team coach Tab Ramos for recommending Benji Joya and Danny Cuevas, who hadn’t previously been in the national team program but became key players for the U-20 team that competed at the 2013 U-20 World Cup. Both were part of the U-23 national team camp earlier this month.

“I look forward to continuing my work as a Technical Advisor,” said Perez. “But it’s no secret that I have aspirations to someday coach at the pro level.”

A U.S. Soccer spokesman said that it is considering candidates to replace Perez as U-15 coach.

  1. Albert Harris
    commented on: August 28, 2014 at 9:33 a.m.
    Always a little worrying when someone without an obvious reason is released like this. Also no one named to replace him. Hope we're not going to revert to the "good ole boy Brit" option.
  1. Santiago 1314
    commented on: August 28, 2014 at 9:47 a.m.
    What a Great Person is Hugo... From Playing Racquet Ball with a Newbie, to having to Black Out his Puma shoes, Hugo was always a Class Act.. And Talent??? He did cause a Riot, that almost Burned Down the Stadium, in El Salvador!!!... But, He was not Really the "Type A" Coach Prospect/Personality... And Certainly NOT in the USSF Coaching Style("Play The Way Your Facing","One Touch, Don't Dribble","Run Harder/Faster,Think Less")... I Doubted that he would see Eye-to-Eye with Klinsmann... Hopefully, Hugo will still be able to Teach some of our Young players somewhere ... Watch Out Tab, your Next... Buena Suerte Mi Amigo..
  1. Soccer Logic
    commented on: August 28, 2014 at 10:11 a.m.
    The teams that Hugo put together were very talented but I never really saw much risk taking or dribbling from his teams. The posession was good but it didnt result in more shots on goal than opposing teams from what I saw and that should be the whole point of it. Never saw much of through balls or into space from mids to forwards or defenders to forwards. And thats a big part of risk taking. I still take him over most of what we have had in the past. Hopefully there is a great explanation for letting him go.
  1. BJ Genovese
    commented on: August 28, 2014 at 9:45 p.m.
    Well hopefully his replacement will shake things up a bit. I think this age group needed to get out of there comfort zone. Time to shake things up a bit and bring in some new talent. US soccer needs to open up the data base and bring in already identified kids at age 12-13 for another look.
  1. Santiago 1314
    commented on: August 29, 2014 at 9:25 a.m.
    @BJ.. Hugo WAS THE SHAKE UP!!!... Almost all Latino Team.. Ya Think maybe someone above him didn't like it???
  1. Soccer Logic
    commented on: August 30, 2014 at 11:10 a.m.
    Santiago, while I dont agree with such a focus on USSDA or regional for NT Player selection, I do seem to notice a sudden uproar amongst bloggers about picking so many Latino Players. I dont remember too many complaints when is completley the opposite.
  1. Santiago 1314
    commented on: September 8, 2014 at 9:22 p.m.
    @Soccer Logic,,,I Think you are saying,.. When we had "Gringo Brits" making selections, based on "Pay for Play" Buddy System, There was not the Outcry against the Players Picked. Except by the Latino's... Now that the "Boot" is on the other foot, Lots of Gnashing of Teeth...This will be an Ongoing "Push-me-Pull-me" until we have our 1st Messi...Or until Dr. Doolittle starts making the Selections..LOL
  1. Soccer Logic
    commented on: September 9, 2014 at 3:35 p.m.
    Santiago, I did not notice too many Latino bloggers complaining back then. Not nealry as many complaining now about so many Latinos. Nor have I ever noticed too many people complaing about so many Black basketball players on USA National Team even though they are even a smaller minority than Hispanics. Sign of the times, maybe?? Agreed. If USA had a Hispanic Michael Jordan everyone would be happy.
  1. Santiago 1314
    commented on: September 10, 2014 at 6:57 p.m.
    Where is Our Latino FORWARD??? Still waiting on Him..We Need a Game Breaker..

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now



Recent Soccer America Daily
Waldrum (still without a contract) returns to T&T women    
When Trinidad & Tobago faces the USA in the first of two friendlies Sunday in Honolulu, ...
What They're Saying: Orlando City owner Flavio Augusto da Silva    
"Five years ago, [MLS] paid to [be on television]. In 2010, it was paid $68 million, ...
New U-17 cycle begins on cautionary note    
In past years, the Nike International Friendlies, the annual year-end tournament for the age group that ...
Report: Miami Beckham United moves on to fourth option    
David Beckham's group seeking a home for an MLS club has its maps of Miami out ...
Close call can't erase Red Bulls' sense of accomplishment    
A year that started in controversy and uproar ended with another playoff setback, but during 2015 ...
What They're Saying: Dax McCarty    
"The first thing I want to do is to apologize to our fans. They've been fantastic ...
Video Pick: Dortmund pals perform synchronized warm-up    
Borussia Dortmund's Pierre-Emerick Aubameyang, the Bundesliga's leading scorer, and Marco Reus' balletic warmup (dubbed a "Bromance ...
Video Pick: Barcelona delivers a Messi & Neymar montage    
Barcelona put together a one-minute video featuring the feats of its two FIFA Ballon d'Or 2015 ...
MLS: RSL's Schuler, Gil and Silva are out of contract    
Real Salt Lake re-signed defender Jamison Olave and exercised the 2016 contract options on seven players, ...
MLS: Chicago's Larentowicz eligible for free agency    
Veteran Jeff Larentowicz, who started 29 games in 2015, was among nine players the Chicago Fire ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives