Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
Report backs Toronto police in clash with Chilean U-20s
July 31st, 2007 7AM
Subscribe to Soccer America Daily

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

A Toronto police report released Monday concluded that officers acted appropriately during a clash with players and staff of the Chilean U-20 team after their semifinal match with Argentina on July 19 at the Under-20 World Cup.

"All witnesses reported that the conduct and actions of the officers involved was appropriate, necessary and commendable," Toronto Police Chief Bill Blair told a press conference. "The investigation revealed that my officers intervened at the first sign of trouble, but that members of the Chilean team not only refused to stop their aggressive behavior, but engaged in conduct that inflamed the situation."

According to witnesses, Chilean players, who claim they were clubbed by police, punched, kicked, spat upon and kicked the officers.

"During the violence," said Blair, "Chilean players dismantled the armrests and footrests of the bus seats. They smashed the windows of the bus to throw these -- and spit at -- the officers below them. They also threw D-cell batteries at the officers, clothes hangers and cans of deodorant. Four officers were struck by the projectiles thrown."

This was the second international incident involving Chilean players in July.

Chile's soccer federation banned senior six national team players -- captain Jorge Valdivia, Jorge Vargas, Pablo Contreras, Reinaldo Navia, Rodrigo Tello and Alvaro Ormeno -- from the upcoming 2010 World Cup qualifiers for going on a drunken rampage at the Copa America in Venezuela.



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
MLS Today: Hunt for points intensifies    
Big rivalry matches will be played each day over the weekend -- Houston-FC Dallas, NYCFC-Red Bulls ...
MLS Closeup: By dominating at home Dynamo defies critics    
So far in this MLS season, several teams are posting remarkable records that are mirror images: ...
What They're Saying: Francisco Rios    
"The first thing I did this year when the schedule came out was to check to ...
USMNT: Our 23 picks for the Gold Cup    
U.S. national team coach Bruce Arena will announce his 23-player roster for the Gold Cup on ...
MLS: DP Qazaishvili gives Quakes new look up front    
Valeri "Vako" Qazaishvili scored 21 goals in 2014-15 and 2015-16 with Dutch club Vitesse and is ...
What They're Saying: Dax McCarty    
"You can take the ginger out of NY, but NY will still be red. Good luck ...
Texan McKinze Gaines moves to Darmstadt     
McKinze Gaines, the 19-year-old South Texas product who last season helped VfL Wolfsburg reach the U-19 ...
Confederations Cup: Sanchez sets Chile record in 1-1 tie    
Alexis Sanchez became Chile's all-time leading scorer with his 38th international goal, but the South American ...
Video Pick: Cabrera quest for creativity works for Dynamo     
Wilmer Cabrera, who played on the great Colombia team of the 1990s, has since taking the ...
Saief's switch to represent USA is approved by FIFA    
Israeli-American Kenny Saief, who plays for Belgium's Gent, has been approved by FIFA for a change ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives