Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
Henry off the hook
by Mike Woitalla, January 19th, 2010 7AM
Subscribe to Soccer America Daily

MOST READ

MOST COMMENTED

[WORLD CUP COUNTDOWN] FIFA will not punish Thierry Henry for using his hands to set up France's deciding goal in the World Cup qualifying game against Ireland that sent Les Bleus to South Africa. The FIFA Disciplinary Committee reached the conclusion on Monday, stating that there was no legal foundation for the committee to consider the case because handling the ball cannot be regarded as a serious infringement as stipulated by the FIFA Disciplinary Code.

FIFA's statement said that there "is no other legal text that would allow the committee to impose sanctions for any incidents missed by match officials."

Ireland was leading, 1-0, in the second leg of the playoff in November when Henry handled the ball to control it and set up William Gallas for the equalizing goal in overtime that gave France a 2-1 aggregate win. The transgression escaped the officiating crew but was captured clearly by television cameras.

"I don't want players to get banned, but [the decision] promotes 'if you can get away with it, do it,'" Irish defender Sean St Ledger, who played in the game at the Stade de France, told The Times. "I've seen [the incident] again today and I still think he intentionally, the second time, handballed it. I still feel a bit hurt from it."

The Irish soccer federation had demanded a replay or to go to the World Cup as a 33rd team. Both proposals were rejected, although FIFA President Sepp Blatter called the incident "blatant unfair play."

 



No comments yet.

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Soccer America Daily
By the Numbers: USA at the Gold Cup    
Bruce Arena will become the first coach to win three Gold Cup titles if the USA ...
NWSL Rewind: Press moves Red Stars into first    
Christen Press' seventh and eighth goals of the season gave the Chicago Red Stars a 2-1 ...
USL Rewind: Joe Cole helps Rowdies to over Battery    
Extending an unbeaten streak to a modest three games is rarely newsworthy, but by posting its ...
What They're Saying: Bruce Matheson    
"Twenty-five thousand people entering that neighborhood will wreak havoc with noise, traffic, and pedestrian congestion, because ...
MLS Power Rankings: NYCFC jumps two spots to top    
In one of the wackiest as well as busiest weeks of the season so far, another ...
What They're Saying: Theodore Whitmore    
"Probably when the New York Red Bulls see this tonight, then Kemar might be able to ...
Pro/Rel: The case for and against    
Nothing sparks a good soccer debate quite like pro/rel. There are many arguments on both sides ...
Pro/Rel: Why $4 billion offer to MLS was non-starter    
The debate over MLS and pro/rel resurfaced on Monday with a Sports Business Journal report that ...
Video Pick: Vet Beckerman scores a long-range beauty    
The 35-year-old Real Salt Lake midfielder Kyle Beckerman scored his 39th career goal with 29-yard rocket ...
By the Numbers: Clint Dempsey's 57 U.S. goals    
Clint Dempsey's record-tying 57 international goals for the USA include 41 in official competition. He holds ...
>> Soccer America Daily Archives