[MLS GOLEADORES] Rookies Michael and Gabriel Farfan, the first twins to be signed by an MLS team, each scored their first MLS
goals within a week as the previously low-scoring Philadelphia Union struck eight goals in two games. ... Landon Donovan extended his lead in the scorer's race. ... For the latest on
the Golden Boot race ...
* The Philadelphia Union, which had scored only six goals in its first nine games, has upped its output to 14 goals after a 6-2 win at Toronto FC in Week 11 on the heels of its 2-1 win over Chicago the previous week. Michael Farfan, a San Diego Nomads product who played college ball at Cal State Fullerton and North Carolina, scored his first MLS goal in the win over Chicago. His twin brother Gabriel started in place of Michael, sidelined with a groin injury, against Toronto and scored his first goal.
“It was definitely exciting [Michael] got his first goal last week,” Gabriel told MLSsoccer.com. “I was joking with a couple of friends around the league, talking about how I need to score now. I promised [assistant coach John Hackworth] I’d get a goal this game. Luckily, I was able to deliver.”
Gabriel played at Cal State Fullerton and spent a year with Mexico's Club America before joining the Union.
* Philly's 2010 No. 1 draft pick Danny Mwanga scored twice in the win over Toronto to up his total to three goals. The 19-year-old scored seven goals last season.
* Landon Donovan's penalty-kick goal in the Los Angeles Galaxy's 1-0 midweek win over Houston marked his league-leading eighth goal. Donovan won the Golden Boot in 2008 with 20 strikes.
* San Jose Chris Wondowloski, last season's leading scorer with 18 goals, scored his sixth goal of the season in the Quakes' 2-2 tie with Chicago.
* The Red Bulls' Thierry Henry also struck for the sixth time, in nine games. In 2010, the French World Cup winner scored twice in 11 games after arriving in midseason.
MLS Leading Scorers
|Player ||Team ||Goals ||Assists |
Donovan ||Los Angeles||8 ||1 |
|Thierry Henry||New York ||6 ||3
|Chris Wondolowski||San Jose ||6 ||2 |
|Charlie Davies||D.C. United ||6 ||1 |
|Luke Rodgers ||New York ||5 ||2 |
|Maicon Santos||Toronto FC ||5 ||1 |
|Marco Pappa||Chicago ||4 ||2 |
|Will Bruin ||Houston ||4 ||1 |
|Brad Evans ||Seattle||4 ||1 |
|Shalrie Joseph||New England ||4 ||1 |
|Chris Pontius||D.C. United ||4 ||1
|Brek Shea||FC Dallas ||4 ||1 |
|Cam Weaver ||Houston||4 ||1 |
|Diego Chaves||Chicago ||4 ||0 |
|Eric Hassli||Vancouver ||4 ||0 |
|Emilio Renteria ||Columbus ||4 ||0 |