Chelsea on Thursday completed the signing of Cesc Fabregas from Barcelona on a five-year deal. According to Sky Sports News, the 27-year-old had been told following the end of last season that he was no longer wanted at the Camp Nou, leading to speculation that he would return to the Premier League. Arsenal had inserted a clause in the player’s contract giving it first option to re-sign Fabregas, but Gunners boss Arsene Wenger decided not to exercise that option, leaving Chelsea the favorite to sign the Spain international.
"Firstly I would like to thank everyone at FC Barcelona where I enjoyed three wonderful years,” Fabregas said. “It was my childhood club and I will always be proud and honored that I had a chance to play for such a great team. I do feel that I have unfinished business in the Premier League and now is the right time for my return.”
He added: “Yes, everyone knows that Arsenal had the first option to sign me. They decided not to take up this option and therefore it wasn't meant to be. I wish them well in the future. I considered all the other offers very carefully and I firmly believe that Chelsea is the best choice. They match my footballing ambitions with their hunger and desire to win trophies. They have an amazing squad of players and an incredible manager. I am fully committed to this team and I can't wait to start playing.”
Meanwhile, Barcelona issued the following statement: "FC Barcelona wishes to publicly thank Cesc Fabregas for his professionalism and dedication during his years at the Club, which will always be his home, and to wish him all the very best for the future."Read the original story...