Join Now  | 
Home About Contact Us Privacy & Security Advertise
Soccer America Daily Soccer World Daily Special Edition Around The Net Soccer Business Insider College Soccer Reporter Youth Soccer Reporter Soccer on TV Soccer America Classifieds Game Report
Paul Gardner: SoccerTalk Soccer America Confidential Youth Soccer Insider World Cup Watch
RSS Feeds Archives Manage Subscriptions Subscribe
Order Current Issue Subscribe Manage My Subscription Renew My Subscription Gift Subscription
My Account Join Now
Tournament Calendar Camps & Academies Soccer Glossary Classifieds
Working theory is Borussia Dortmund bus was target of explosive attack
by Paul Kennedy, April 11th, 2017 4:50PM
Subscribe to Soccer World Daily

MOST READ
TAGS:  borussia dortmund, france, germany, uefa champions league

MOST COMMENTED

The Borussia Dortmund-Monaco match in the UEFA Champions League was postponed on Tuesday after the Dortmund team bus was the apparent target of an explosive attack. According to reports, three explosions went off after the bus exited its team hotel, L'Arrivee Hotel and Spa, in Hoechsten, about eight miles from Signal Iduna Park, site of the match that will be played on Wednesday.

Police told Dortmund CEO Hans-Joachim Watzke the explosives were placed in the bushes near a parking lot along the road and detonated as the bus passed. The initial findings of Dortmund investigators is they assume it "was an attack with serious explosive devices."

Spanish defender Marc Bartra, who was sitting in the back of the bus was injured in the explosion and was taken to a local hospital with a hand injury after the force of the explosions shattered the back window. He had surgery to repair a broken bone in his right wrist and remove objects from his arm.

Borussia Dortmund goalkeeper Roman Buerki, who was sitting next to Bartra, told Swiss daily Blick that "there was a huge bang, literally an explosion" and glass flew about.

"We're all shocked," Buerki added. "Nobody thought about a football match in the minutes after that."



Bild published a photo of Dortmund players milling around after the bus stopped. Among those in the photo was 18-year-old American Christian Pulisic, who was expected to start in the biggest match of his club career.

"The whole team is in a state of shock," said Watzke. "You can't get pictures like that out of your head. I hope the team will be in a position to be able to compete tomorrow on the pitch. In a crisis situation like this, Borussia pulls together."

Monaco fans at the stadium chanted "Dortmund" in support of the home team, while clubs across Europe sent messages of support for BVB and Bartra, who previously played at Barcelona. Borussia Dortmund, in turn, sent out a request for residents to take in Monaco fans, who will have to stay in town an extra day for the makeup game.



2 comments
  1. Quarterback TD
    commented on: April 11, 2017 at 8:06 p.m.
    This nonsense been happening to frequently.. France, Turkey and Germany. Europe takes it too easy on criminals be it terrorist or any a-hole wanting to hit and run and think they are a bad boy but only really a bunch of cowards. I know the US is the capital for gangland, thugs and killers but these fools are not walking out of prison or some screwed up place and talking about it like it's a bade of honor. So until the entire world gets serious on these cowards blowing sh!t up more of this nonsense will be coming soon.
  1. Nick Daverese
    commented on: April 12, 2017 at 1:43 a.m.
    I posted the same thing on a Dortmund site. They were saying how messed up the players were. Guy on the site actually asked me who was I talking about are they really that stupid?

Sign in to leave a comment. Don't have an account? Join Now




AUTHORS

ARCHIVES
FOLLOW SOCCERAMERICA

Recent Off The Post
English FA pushes back from gambling ties    
English soccer's governing body announced Thursday it is being terminating a deal with the betting company ...
Mbappe and the allure of Real Madrid    
The biggest transfer saga of the summer will be that of 18-year-old Monaco forward Kylian Mbappe, ...
Secrets to the French soccer revolution, seven years after Knysna    
Tuesday marked the seventh anniversary of the French player revolt at Knysna, the South African training ...
Rule-change proposals: The final whistle idea makes sense     
Some of the latest rule-change proposals, which include no rebounds on penalty kicks, are radical enough ...
Where the VAR 'controversy' is misguided -- and where it isn't    
The first thing to say about the Video Assistant Referee (VAR) system being used at the ...
FIFA scandals enter new phase as former banker admits bribe payments    
Former Swiss bank executive Jorge Luis Arzuaga has admitted establishing accounts and depositing funds as bribe ...
The Development Academies: The saga ends    
Well, actually, the Development Academies (DA) saga does not end here, but my story ends. I ...
Mostly tight World Cup qualifying races as Europe breaks for summer    
The long European season is finally over. National teams will break for the summer before the ...
American coach Dan Gaspar heads to third World Cup as Iran books Russia tickets     
Iran clinching a spot at the 2018 World Cup means American coach Dan Gaspar is heading ...
After Trump Tower and the Donald, Football League takes cup draw to Bangkok    
Soccer is an international sport with interest none bigger than in English soccer. The EPL's financial ...
>> Off The Post Archives