The Borussia Dortmund-Monaco match in the UEFA Champions League was played 24 hours after an explosion went off as the Dortmund team bus left the hotel where players had spent the afternoon.
Initial reports were sketchy, ranging from a firecracker that cracked the back window of the bus to an explosion so loud it could be heard eight miles away at the Signal Iduna Park, the Dortmund
The determination: Three bombs filled with metal pins were detonated with a remote device (cell phone or garage door-opening device) as the bus went by. Defender Marc
Bartra was the only person on the bus who was injured, suffering a broken right wrist and cuts to his left arm. Prosecutors say it was lucky "that nothing worse happened."
shock of the attack -- midfielder Nuri Sahin said he didn't think of the game until he
stepped on the field to start the second half on Wednesday -- Dortmund players were asked to play the next day.
Dortmund players were in no condition to play, going down, 2-0, at the half
-- it would have been 3-0 if Monaco's Fabinho didn't miss a penalty kick -- and losing, 3-2.
Dortmund coach Thomas Tuchel said his players should have been consulted about
playing; UEFA says everyone was. FIFPro, the international players union, says Dortmund should not have played so soon and wants clear guidelines set on dealing with a crisis like that which
"Players are people first and their emotional state must be taken into account. This comes before any other consideration," FIFPro told Reuters. "We believe the incident was serious enough to warrant a longer delay than 24 hours, irrespective of the
challenges it would have posed for traveling fans and to adjust the match calendar."
UEFA's position is that the game had to be played. Both Dortmund and Monaco are involved in the
semifinals of their domestic cup competitions and don't have a free midweek until mid-May, after the two legs of the UEFA Champions League are scheduled to be played.
executive Hans-Joachim Watzke supported UEFA's position: "We have a very tight fixture list. The second leg is next week. There is no possibility to wait for Thursday. The Monaco team cannot
stay here, they also have a game at the weekend."
Watzke said he appealed to his players "to show society that we do not bend before terror." That they did as Dortmund and Monaco players
put on a thrilling show for their fans, who were a model of fair play.
But that still begs the question, should it be up to the Dortmund players, who had seen their teammate, Bartra, go
off in an ambulance and had not yet returned to their families, to agree to play and carry that burden of showing they won't "bend before terror"?
What if the incident had been worse?
Would UEFA still have used the excuse that there were no alternative dates available and Monaco had to get home for another game this weekend?