No. 10 West Virginia
celebrated Coach Marlon LeBlanc's return to Penn State
, where he was an assistant for five
years, with a 2-1 victory over the Nittany Lions on Wednesday night.
New Zealander Paul Cunningham and Englishman Andrew Wright scored unassisted goals in the second half to erase Penn
State's 1-0 first-half lead and give the Mountaineers (8-1-2) their first win over Penn State since 1973.
"That was during the Nixon administration, right?" LeBlanc asked MSNsportsNET.com
The loss dropped the injury-riddled Nittany Lions to 3-6-1.
Two Soccer America Men's Top 25
teams lost on Wednesday night.
No. 13 South Florida
lost for the first time in six Big East matches when it fell at DePaul
, 2-1. The Blue
Demons got goals from Julian Chille in the 29th minute and Alex Mangan in the 82nd. Rodrigo Hidalgo scored the Bulls' only goal in the 90th
No. 19 UC
suffered an embarrassing 5-0 loss at Cal State Northridge
in a Big West contest that featured 12 yellow cards and four red cards. Matt
Tracy and Devin Deldo scored in the first 19 minutes off set pieces to give Northridge a lead it would never relinquish. Red cards were issued to UCSB's Greg Curry, Kyle Kaveny and Evan Patterson
and Matador Dylan Riley. Curry, Kaveny and Riley are were gone by halftime.
- Elsewhere, German forward Yannick Reyering headed in a cross from Chris Tierney 33 seconds into the second overtime as No. 5 Virginia defeated American, 2-1, at Klockner Stadium. The Cavaliers' last four wins have all come in overtime
Ackley's header in the 94th minute lifted No. 14 Indiana to a 1-0, overtime win over Kentucky. The loss was only the
second of the season for the Wildcats. IU held Kentucky, which came into the game ranked third in the nation in scoring offense (3.11 goals per game), to just six shots.
- Joseph Lapira wasted little time in recording two goals, his 10th and 11th of the season, to lead No. 15 Notre Dame past
Marquette, 4-0. Lapira scored in the 3rd minute off a rebound off his own shot and scored his second from the top of the box in the 11th minute.
- South Carolina's Cory Lewis came off the bench to score two first-half goals, the first on a header
off a corner and the second on a shot from just outside of the 18-yard box, and lead the No. 21 Gamecocks to a 2-0 victory over UAB in Conference USA
- No. 23 UC Irvine improved to 7-1-1 with a 3-2 victory over Cal State Fullerton on Anthony
Hamilton's overtime goal. The Anteaters had gone ahead 2-1 on goals by former U.S. U-20 Brad Evans and Matt Murphy 41 seconds apart in the first half, but Fullerton sent the game into overtime on
Eugene Brooks' seventh goal of the season in the 71st minute.
- In other action, surging Connecticut ran its unbeaten streak to seven games with a 4-1 win over Yale. Former Jamaica youth international O'Brian
White scored two goals to lead the Huskies (6-2-2). Chukwudi Chijindu and Ryan Cordeiro also scored for UConn.