MLS: San Jose acquires Mexican forward Francisco Uribe

The San Jose Clash has acquired Mexican forward Francisco Uribe, a ten-year veteran of the Mexican First Division. Uribe, a 32-year-old forward, spent the 1997-98 season with Veracruz. He began his career in 1986 with UNAM and has played with Coyotes de Neza, Atlanta, Leon (where he won the 1991 championship), America and Tigres. Known to Mexican fans as "Paco," Uribe scored seven goals for the Mexican national team during the first part of qualifying for the 1994 World Cup, but he missed the tournament after suffering a fractured cheekbone in a match against El Salvador. "Soccer fans in general and Mexican soccer fans in particular know Francisco Uribe is a true professional and a proven goalscorer," said San Jose GM Peter Bridgwater. "He is still at the top of his game, and he's a perfect fit for our team, both on and off the field." Uribe signed a multi-year contract with MLS, and Bridgwater emphasized that "this is a purchase, not a loan." He stated that Uribe would be a part of the Clash "well into the future." Uribe replaces Juan Pablo Rodriguez, the 18-year-old midfielder whom the Clash had previously acquired from Atlas. San Jose voided the deal after discovering that Rodriguez had a leg injury. "While I'm sorry to lose Juan Pablo, I'm excited that we have been able to replace him with a player who has national team experience, a player like Francisco who can still play at a high level," said Clash coach Brian Quinn. "He will be a great addition to our team. Uribe might make his MLS debut June 3, when San Jose hosts D.C. United, although Bridgwater said that a more realistic date would be June 6 at Colorado or June 11 at Chicago.
Next story loading loading..

Discover Our Publications