MLS: Colorado acquires Ian Feuer from Revolution

The Colorado Rapids have acquired goalkeeper Ian Feuer from the New England Revolution in exchange for future considerations. Feuer, 27, started 26 games for the Revolution last season after joining the MLS club prior to 1998 from Luton Town of England's Second Division. At 6'6", Feuer is the tallest player in MLS history. He became available after Revolution head coach and former Italian international goalkeeper Walter Zenga announced that he would serve as the team's player-coach in 1999. Rapids coach Glenn Myernick said that the acquisition gives him unprecedented depth at the goalkeeper position. "I am thrilled to have the chance to add such a high-quality goalkeeper with experience both in MLS and abroad. When Walter Zenga decided he would play himself in goal for New England, we saw a great opportunity to add depth at the goalkeeper position, and we jumped at it," he said. Feuer, a Las Vegas native, had an eventful off-season loan spell to English non-league club Rushden & Diamonds. Feuer captured the English sporting spotlight on Jan. 2 when he turned in a blinding performance as his team shocked Premier League power Leeds United with a 0-0 draw at Nene Park in the F.A. Cup. Rushden & Diamonds plays a full four divisions below the Premier League, thus Feuer's sparkling performance, in which he was called upon to make several saves of the eye-catching variety, gained him national notoriety in England. While Leeds would go on to knock off Feuer and his upstart side, 3-1, in the replay at Leeds' Elland Road, Feuer had re-introduced himself to the country in which he had toiled for several years. His loan spell at Rushden & Diamonds had also re-united him with a former manager at Luton Town. Terry Westley, who was Feuer's skipper at Luton for three months, now serves as the assistant manager for the non-league side. Feuer began his professional career with F.C. Brugge in Belgium after graduating from High School. Feuer stayed with the Belgian side through 1993, when he returned to the U.S. to play the 1993 season with the Los Angeles Salsa of the American Professional Soccer League. In April 1994 Feuer's contract was purchased by West Ham United of England's top flight for 80,000 British pounds (roughly $135,000). However, first-team minutes were not to be found, as West Ham's goalkeeping chores were in the able hands of stalwart Ludo Miklosko. Despite gaining valuable experience playing with West Ham's reserve team, Feuer went on loan to Peterborough, where he played 16 league matches during the 1994-95 season. The following season, Feuer again went out on loan, this time joining Luton Town on a three-month loan in September 1995. After enjoying much success in 14 league matches for Luton, the club purchased his contract outright in December for 600,000 British Pounds (roughly $1.02 million). Feuer would experience a great run at Luton, in fact being named "Fans' Player of the Year" for the 1995-96 season. His success at Luton would continue until August 1997, when he tore a muscle in his shoulder in a match against Southend. The injury brought to a halt his impressive streak of 90 consecutive league appearances. Sidelined by injury, Feuer was forced to watch as England U-21 International goalkeeper Kelvin Davis assumed goalkeeping duties and played well enough that when Feuer returned to fitness, he would be sold to the New England Revolution in March of 1998. Feuer is set to join the Rapids in San Diego this week.
Next story loading loading..

Discover Our Publications