The Chicago Fire plans to announce a new coach by the end of the week, but it won't be Dynamo assistant John Spencer, according to the Houston Chronicle. Spencer on Wednesday said he rejected an
offer to become Fire head coach because the parties couldn't agree to personal terms. "[Tuesday] I got offered the job in Chicago, accepted it and sat down to try and negotiate a contract, but we
couldn't come to terms,'' Spencer said. "It wasn't much more money than I [was making] here with the Dynamo, and I felt that to move my family to another state and all the upheaval and such, I just
didn't think it was worth it, so I turned it down.''
Instead, Spencer revealed that he'd signed a one-year contract extension with the MLS champion to remain assistant coach. Chris
Canetti, Houston's club's chief operating officer, was happy but surprised to keep the MLS veteran. "We're more than happy to have [Spencer] back, although at some level, personally, sorry for him
that he wasn't able to get his first head-coaching job, which will happen some day."
The Chronicle believes that longtime Fire assistant Denis Hamlett will now succeed Juan Carlos Osorio
as head coach of the Chicago Fire. Reports last week also linked former Dallas Burn assistant Mike Jeffries, now No. 2 at Duke University, and U.S. national veteran Frank Klopas with the Chicago
Read the whole story at Houston Chronicle »