[OFF THE POST] Thomas Schaefer-Elmayer
, known as the etiquette guru of Austria, which is co-hosting the European Championship, has offered "rules" of how to
behave during Euro 08. Schaefer-Elmayer, the director of the Elmayer dance school that prepares debutantes for the annual Viennese Opera Ball, says:
* Casual attire is OK but one must
come clothed to the stadium, "even on hot days. Arriving only in swimming trunks or bare-chested is not appropriate."
* On the subway: "one should remain patient and fall in step with the
* "Pushing and swearing will lead nowhere and only spoil the fun."
* Introduce yourself in the stadium to fellow fans, "but at first, one should address other adults
* If a fan spills a drink on you, "I would urge him to be more careful and then keep my distance."
* To distance oneself from over-affectionate fans, "A little lie
can help, such as 'Please no, my back hurts!'"
* To deal with foreign fans, "Tolerance is expected from us. We need to respect other practices, including when they're happening here. If
you wish to enlighten others about your customs and habits, do this constructively and with sensitivity, it should never be preachy or aggressive."