In his 32 years at Brown, Phil Pincince
has enjoyed considerable success -- 12 Ivy League titles, including nine in a row (1982-90) -- but he has never had a
weekend quite like the Bears had at the UConn Classic. First, Brown beat Big Ten powerhouse Penn State, 1-0, in overtime, then it tied No. 1 UCLA, 0-0. Brenna Hogue
was the star, stopping a career-high 18 shots, including two in overtime, against Penn State, then making 12 saves against UCLA.
's goal with 58 seconds left in the first overtime lifted Brown over Penn State.
"This is by far the biggest weekend of
my coaching career," said Pincince. "To play two teams ranked in the top 15 and come away with a win and a tie is unbelievable. The players left everything on the field this weekend and were
rewarded. This was truly a special weekend."
WEEKEND TOP 25 ACTION THE 60-60 CLUB. Kerri
Stanford 1 (O'Hara 87) North Carolina 1 (Heath 30).
2 (Chapman 49, Annis 55) Illinois 0.
5 (Washington 1, 64, Averbuch 7, Jones 49, Nogueira 71) Santa Clara 0.
Wake Forest 3 (D'Agostino 38, Sadow
62, Winslow 64) Cal State Fullerton 0.
assist on the first of two goals by freshman Melissa Henderson
in Notre Dame's 5-0 win over SMU was the 60th of her career, making her just the
sixth player in NCAA Division I women's soccer history to register 60 goals and 60 assists (she also has 69 goals). Three of those six are Notre Dame players.
TOP 25 MOVEMENT
18. UCF (wins over Florida and Illinois)
20. South Carolina (held Florida
State to 3-3 tie)
21. Brown (tied UCLA, 0-0, and beat Penn State, 1-0)
22. California (won last four games
by 12-0 margin)
23. Colorado College (beat Denver in overtime)
24. UC Santa Barbara (wins over USD,
Pepperdine and Tennessee)
25. UNLV (won UNM Nike Classic)
Santa Clara (didn't score in losses to UNCG and UNC)
19. Kansas (loss to Loyola, Ill., ended five -game winning streak)
20. Illinois (dropped a pair of 2-0 decisions in Florida)
22. Denver (fell to Colorado College in overtime)
23. Wisconsin-Milwaukee (lost to UNLV)
24. Tennessee (2-5-0 after two losses in
25. Cal State Fullerton (suffered 3-0 losses to Virginia Tech and Wake Forest)