Pilots cruise past Wolfpack on the road

[N.C. STATE-PORTLAND 1-2] Visiting Portland got goals from Drew Chrostek in the second minute and Ryan Luke in the 63rd to beat No. 15 seed N.C, State, 2-1, in an NCAA second-round game on Sunday afternoon. The Pilots advance to the third round where they'll face No. 2 seed Virginia on Sunday in a rematch of their season opener.

"We got off to a great start," UP coach Bill Irwin said. "N.C. State is a very good side and they made chances. But we defended very well and made our own chances. The early goal was big."
Chrostek wasted little time as he scored his first collegiate goal barely a minute into the game. Chrostek took a corner from Jarad vanSchaik and buried a shot from the top of the box into the top-left corner of the net.
"We worked on our set pieces all week and we caught the defense sleeping," said Chrostek. "It's very exciting to score my first collegiate goal and that was an ideal way to start the game."
The Portland (12-5-5) defense was able to withstand an aggressive NC State (13-7-7) attack until the 59th minute of the second half, when Akil DeFreitas equalized. Chrystel Bakong fed an unmarked DeFreitas in the left side of the box. DeFreitas then had no problem finishing into the right side of the net to tie the score at 1-1.
But Portland was not to be denied as Luke scored only moments later on UP's first shot of the second half. The play was set up by Collen Warner, who had possession in the right flank, made a move around a defender and sent a perfect ball towards the far post. A composed Luke finished with a header into the right corner.
"Once the ball is at his feet, I know Collen has great skills," said Luke. "When he had his guy isolated, it was my goal to be in position in front of the net. It was a battle and we knew we were going to have to fight the entire game."
The Wolfpack had no answer as the Pilots would hold on with stingy defense and a great performance between the pipes by UP freshman goalkeeper Justin Baarts, who was making his first career start and playing his first significant minutes.
Portland's usual goalkeeper, All-WCC First Team selection Austin Guerrero, was forced to sit out due to a receiving a red card during UP's first-round win at New Mexico on Thursday night.
"It was a smooth transition," Baarts said of his team's adjustment to a new keeper. "Our coaches had us prepared."
Baarts finished with three saves, including an acrobatic, diving save on a hard shot by Lucas Carpenter in the 53rd minute.
"I was set when he hit it and I knew I had to make a save," said Baarts. "I got there and got a hand on it."
N.C. State held a 15-6 advantage in shots, while UP had a 6-5 edge in corner kicks.
The win sends the Pilots to the third round for the first time since 2001. It also gives them a chance at redemption as Virginia opened the 2009 season with a 3-0 win over the Pilots at Merlo Field.

Late Herrick goal sends Terps to Sweet Sixteen

[PENN STATE-MARYLAND 1-2] Defending champion Maryland moved into the round of 16 of the NCAA Men's Tournament for the eighth straight year with a 2-1 win at No. 7 seed Penn State on Jason Herrick's late goal.

Herrick scored with 4:05 remaining to lift the Terps against a Nittany Lion squad that was undefeated at Jeffrey Field in 2009.

Penn State, who returned to the NCAA Tournament for this first time since 2005, came out firing in the first minute of the match. Corey Hertzog had a good look at goal after a cross from 2009 Big Ten Offensive Player of the Year Jason Yeisley, but his header went high in the first 45 seconds.

Hertzog tallied his second of six shots in the first half shortly after when he drew Maryland keeper Zac MacMath out of the box. His shot sailed right of the post.

Cortes notched the Terps' first legitimate scoring chance at 15:33 when he one-timed a solid shot directly into the arms of Penn State's keeper Warren Gross. Hertzog struck again at 21:09 when he shot a ball cross the box past MacMath to the left but Kevin Tangney made a great goal line stand to thwart the Nittany Lion drive.

Jason Herrick started Maryland's first scoring drive when he received a ball at the top of the box and shuffled it over to Casey Townsend. Townsend then passed the ball to Drew Yates, who crossed the ball to an open streaking Billy Cortes on the far sideline. Cortes took two dribbles and blasted the ball past Gross for a 1-0 Terrapin lead at 24:19.

MacMath, whose father Gary played for Penn State in the late 70s, showed why he was tabbed the top keeper in the ACC this season with two huge saves with less than two minutes remaining in the first half. Hertzog's close-range strike went off a sliding MacMath and rebounded back to Hertzog, whose rapid fire shot was saved again by Maryland's sophomore keeper.

Penn State tied the game early in the second stanza after Andres Casais' free kick found the head of freshman Brian Forgue who put his first career shot in the back of the net at 48:23.

After a seesaw remainder of the second half, Herrick tacked on his seventh game-winner of the year when his header snuck past Gross to his right with 4:05 left in the second half. Cortes was credited with the assist, giving the junior a career-high three points for the match.

"I'm just real proud of the character and championship fiber that our team showed today," head coach Sasho Cirovski, who tallied his 250th career win Sunday, said. "I think we had to do that to win and they found a way to get it done. We look forward to the challenge at Harvard."

Maryland moves on to face No. 10 seed Harvard next Sunday in Cambridge, Mass.

Next story loading loading..