What We're Reading

Australia's World Cup 2022 bid p.r. nightmare

  • AAP, Tuesday, July 6, 2010 2:49 AM

The last month has been a p.r. nightmare for Australia, which has been aggressively bidding for the 2022 World Cup. Football Federation Australia, the governing body of Australia soccer, says it has been cleared of allegations it attempted to mislead the Australian government over the use of funding allocated for the 2022 World Cup bid, but the revelations have done damage.

FFA chief executive Ben Buckley said suggestions of "dual accounts" for its bid work were "outrageous and defamatory" and could cause unnecessary damage to Australia's bid for the tournament. The accounts showed that two European lobbyists could receive millions of dollars in fees and bonuses between them if the Australian bid was successful.

Meanwhile, FIFA will continue its ethics probe into reports that around $50,000 of bid funding had been spent on gifts of pearl necklaces and pearl cuff links for some of the FIFA executive committee members and their wives.

Read the whole story at AAP »

Next story loading loading..

Discover Our Publications