[BEST OF THE WORLD CUP] Here is how we ranked the best goals of the 2010 World Cup. We evaluated the intrinsic quality of the goal and/or the lead-up to it, as
well as the competitive importance and dramatic impact.
Our Top 10:
1. Giovanni Van Bronckhorst. Netherlands 3, Uruguay 2.
Missile from 35 yards into top corner to open the scoring in semifinal.
2. Arjen Robben. Netherlands 2, Slovakia 1.
Sneijder long ball, cut inside to shoot low near post.
3. Luis Suarez. Uruguay 2, South Korea 1.
Curling shot in off the post for winner
4. Carlos Tevez. Argentina 3, Mexico 1.
Laser from 27 yards out into the upper corner.
5. David Villa. Spain 2, Chile 1.
Chip from midfield on ball blocked by keeper outside the area.
6. Andres Iniesta. Spain 1, Netherlands 0.
Brought down chip on the right side, and fired right-footed shot to win the World Cup.
7. Carles Puyol. Spain 1, Germany 0.
Pulverizing header off corner kick.
8. Siphiwe Tshabalala. South Africa 1, Mexico 1.
Blast into top far corner after scything run.
9. Landon Donovan. USA 1, Algeria 0.
Rebound of Clint Dempsey’s shot off keeper from rapid-fire attack in final minute.
10. Diego Forlan. Uruguay 2, Germany 3.
Incredible side-volley from edge of box drilled past keeper on the bounce.
Others for consideration:
Maicon. Brazil 2, North Korea 1.
Shot into ridiculously tight angle between keeper and near post.
Valter Birsa. Slovenia 2, USA 2.
Bending 30-yarder from run of play.
Mesut Ozil. Germany 1, Ghana 0.
Controlling touch, left-footed shot from 20 yards.
Fabio Quagliarella. Italy 2, Slovakia 3.
Delicate chip from just outside the box.
Javier Hernandez. Mexico 1, Argentina 3.
Neat trap in traffic and shot into top corner
Sully Muntari. Ghana 1, Uruguay 1.
Nailed long-distance, left-footed skipping shot just inside the post.
Soccer America Readers: What were your favorite goals? Let us know in the comments below.