Saudi fans show displeasure with their shoes

[VIDEO PICK] Fans of Saudi club Al Nasr showed their displeasure with the officiating in its 2-2 tie with Al Taawun by taking off their shoes and hurling them at the refereeing crew as it raced for the tunnel.

Afterwards, the Saudi TV filmed a cleanup crew with a garbage bag filled with shoes.

6 comments about "Saudi fans show displeasure with their shoes".
  1. Kelly Agee, December 24, 2010 at 11:13 a.m.

Preview of Qatar 2022. Way to go FIFA!

2. Gus Keri, December 24, 2010 at 11:58 a.m.

Kelly: enough with this "sour grape" thing. These things happen in any country and fans have used all kind of things to throw onto the field.

3. Kelly Agee, December 24, 2010 at 12:10 p.m.

Yes, batteries were once common in Philly. But Gus, I wanted a World Cup dammit, so I'm going to continue w/ my sour grapes!

4. Kelly Agee, December 24, 2010 at 12:14 p.m.

I should have said that I wanted a World Cup that I could afford to attend. From the looks of the proposed stadiums for Qatar, it will be a spectacular event, one not to be missed. But unless the Sheiks are going to pay all the fans travel expenses, Western Hemisphere attendees are likely to be sparse.

5. Gus Keri, December 24, 2010 at 1:16 p.m.

Kelly: I believe you will get your world cup in 2026. Europe and Asia, with their big guns, will not be eligible for hosting it. The US's competition will come from either the Americas or Africa. Although it's too early, but I don't see any stronge rivals to the US. There will be a strong case for Uruguay/Argentina for the centenary 2030. I don't see FIFA going to Sub-Saharan Africa or to North Africa (part of Middle East) any time soon. For now, let's support Russia and Qatar and wish them the best, for the fans' sake.

6. Kelly Agee, December 24, 2010 at 10:11 p.m.

It's a deal. I was all in for Russia anyway (and if I somehow get rich in the next 8 years, I'll be there), but I'm stoked for the WC in Russia. Moscow, from the little I know and have seen, appears to be a gorgeous city. History and culture are as important to the experience along with the games, and Russia has history in spades (an admitted drawback for the US as a relatively young country). And by the time 2022 rolls around, I'm sure I'll be fired up for Qatar as well, whether I get to go or not.