What We're Reading

Blazer blasts FIFA over World Cup spots

  • Reuters, Friday, March 4, 2011 2:39 PM

Chuck Blazer, the FIFA executive committee's American member, has criticized his colleagues after they refused to give the Concacaf an extra place at the World Cup.

“Really not happy with the FIFA exco meeting,” he said on Twitter. “Every’one protects their own interests rather than doing what’s right. Convenient decisions.”

Concacaf had wanted four places at the 2014 World Cup but was left with 3.5, the same as for South Africa last year. Blazer was upset that Brazil, an automatic qualifier as host, was not included in South America’s 4.5 slots and suggested Africa’s five places was also too generous.

“The last time we [Conocacaf] hosted, in 1986 (Mexico) and 1994 (United States), we didn’t get an extra slot," he said. "Why should South America? In 2010, Africa had six and only Ghana advanced (beyond the group stage). Why do they have five and we 3.5?"

Read the whole story at Reuters »

1 comment about "Blazer blasts FIFA over World Cup spots".
  1. Paolo Jacobs, March 4, 2011 at 10:07 p.m.

    3.5 spots is about right in my book... after Mexico & US,, concacaf is a bit weak when it comes to world cup tourney play....if anything, Europe gets screwed over, and alot of good teams miss out

Next story loading loading..

Discover Our Publications