Klinsmann to audition assistant coaches

[U.S. SOCCER] U.S. Soccer President Sunil Gulati revealed that Juergen Klinsmann’s contract is through the 2014 World Cup, for which qualifying begins in June of 2012, and the German addressed how he will select assistant coaches.

Gulati said, "The commitment we've made [with Klinsmann] is through the World Cup."

Klinsmann said he won’t rush to name his staff.

“I would like to approach it by working from game-to-game, with different people,” Klinsmann said. “I won’t confirm a full-time staff over the next couple of months, because I want to see what’s out there.

“There are a lot of good, highly qualified coaches in the U.S. I might not know. So I need to talk to people. I need to understand what’s out there.

“I’ll talk to a lot of MLS coaches, obviously, and get their perspective and see who I can invite as guest coaches, guest assistant coaches basically.

“It was a different situation seven years ago with Germany because of the media pressure and speculations, you needed to calm it down right away. I think here because we’re not jumping into qualifying right away, we have that opportunity. We have exhibition games, so I can try out different coaches by my side and see how they’re doing.”

6 comments about "Klinsmann to audition assistant coaches".
  1. Philippe Fontanelli, August 2, 2011 at 9:37 a.m.

While it is a new approach I think it sounds great and it is very Klinsman like.

2. Daniel Clifton, August 2, 2011 at 10:16 a.m.

This guy is so sensible it is almost unbelievable. This sounds like a smart way to build a staff at this point in time.

3. F. Kirk Malloy, August 2, 2011 at 10:28 a.m.

Dear Coach Klinsmann, Although I never played or even watched the game growing up, my daughter has now played soccer for 3 full seasons (she's now a U-10 on our local travel B team, we're so proud!). I also watched 3 complete EPL games on TV last season (wow, those guys are fast!) and I have attended a pre-season "Soccer for Parents" clinic last fall (so that's what offsides means!). Clearly I am highly qualified to be at your side during one of the pre-Cup qualifying friendlies to offer my assistant coaching opinions (very loudly, have you witnessed parents at any American youth soccer games?), with frequent cliches I gleaned from American sports like football and baseball, like "There is no "I" in TEAM" and "You gotta want it!". If you're interested, have your girl call my girl (meaning my daughter), but not M-W-Fri 4PM to 5PM which is the only time my girl plays soccer each week. Welcome to America! Cheers, Joe American Soccer Fan and Parent

4. Alex G. Sicre, August 2, 2011 at 12:33 p.m.

We are damn lucky to get this man. Lets not second guess him, give him all of our support. I'm glad that he lives in Southern California. He will find a lot of hidden treasure there. Es lo que yo pienso.

5. Valerie Metzler, August 2, 2011 at 12:37 p.m.

I am thrilled with our new coach and his ideas. Kirk, you make me laugh. (That was a compliment.)

6. David Huff, August 2, 2011 at 1:46 p.m.

Ein Volk, Ein USA, Ein Klinsmann!!! Ach und ja, Viva Klinsmann!!