By Mike Woitalla and Paul Kennedy
After the Los Angeles Galaxy signed David Beckham in 2007, it sold some 250,000 Beckham replica jerseys before he kicked a ball in MLS. Five years later, his shirts are still the top seller among MLS players.
Two of Beckham's teammates, Landon Donovan and Robbie Keane, are the the Top 10. Donovan is one of nine Americans in the Top 25.
The list reflects adidas MLS player jerseys sold via MLSgear.com, MLSgearCanada.ca and MLS club Web sites March 10-Sept. 10, 2012.
Rank. Player (club) Nationality
1. David Beckham (LA Galaxy) England
2. Thierry Henry (New York Red Bulls) France
3. Landon Donovan (LA Galaxy) USA
4. Fredy Montero (Seattle Sounder) Colombia
5. Dwayne De Rosario (D.C. United) Canada
6. Chris Wondolowski (San Jose Earthquakes) USA
7. Tim Cahill (New York Red Bulls) Australia
8. Robbie Keane (LA Galaxy) Ireland
9. Mauro Rosales (Seattle Sounders) Argentina
10. Brian Ching (Houston Dynamo) USA
11. Darlington Nagbe (Portland Timbers) Liberia
12. Chris Pontius (D.C. United) USA
13. Osvaldo Alonso (Seattle Sounders) Cuba
14. Young-Pyo Lee (Vancouver Whitecaps) South Korea
15. Kris Boyd (Portland Timbers) Scotland
16. Barry Robson (Vancouver Whitecaps) Scotland
17. Eddie Gaven (Columbus Crew) USA
18. Brad Davis (Houston Dynamo) USA
19. Roger Torres (Philadelphia Union) Colombia
20. Freddy Adu (Philadelphia Union) USA
21. Kei Kamara (Sporting Kansas City) Sierra Leone
22. Kyle Beckerman (Real Salt Lake) USA
23. Mike Magee (LA Galaxy) USA
24. Saer Sene (New England Revolution) France
25. Arne Friedrich (Chicago Fire) Germany
SLIM PICKINGS. Mexican telephone mogul Carlos Slim, ranked as the richest man in the world in 2012, has moved into soccer with the acquisition by his mobile giant, America Movil, of a 30 percent stake in Mexico First Division clubs Pachuca and Leon. The move is seen as a bid to use the clubs as a way to attack the domination of television networks Televisa and TV Azteca. Leon has sold TV rights to its games to Fox Sports in Mexico and elsewhere in Latin America and to Telemundo in the United States.
-- Univision Deportes has acquired the U.S. Spanish-language rights to the German national team and French national team as well as the France's Ligue 1 and the cup competitions in both Germany and France.
TWITTER FEED. For the 2012-13 season, UEFA has launched twitter feeds for the Champions League (@ChampionsLeague) and Europa League (@EuropaLeague).
Email: Send releases to Soccer America
Friend Soccer America Facebook
Follow Soccer America Twitter
Soccer Business Insider RSS feed