FIFA tosses Fedefutbol protest

[USA-COSTA RICA] FIFA threw out Costa Rica's protest regarding the field conditions during Friday's qualifier against the United States at snowy Dick's Sporting Goods Park, saying the visitors did not file the protest in a proper or timely fashion.

The USA's 1-0 win will stand despite the Ticos' insistence that the match played in a snowstorm should have been stopped by Salvadoran referee Joel Aguilar.

"FIFA received a letter via email and fax from the Costa Rica FA on March 24 with regards to the 2014 FIFA World Cup qualifier played on March 22 between USA and Costa Rica," FIFA said. "The conditions established in the regulations for an official protest have not been met by the Costa Rica FA."

Costa Rica captain Bryan Ruiz was required to ''immediately lodge a protest'' with Aguilar in the presence of the opposing captain. The Costa Rica federation (Fedefutbol) insisted the protest was properly lodged, though U.S. captain Clint Dempsey said he heard of no protest from Ruiz.

The downfall in the Fedefutbol appeal is that a formal protest should have been sent to FIFA ''no later than two hours after the match."

The Fedefutbol's excuse: it took them three hours to get back to their hotel.

2 comments about "FIFA tosses Fedefutbol protest".
  1. Chris Sapien , March 27, 2013 at 2 p.m.

    Balled moved fine, the players safety was not compromised and the referee's authority was not challenged. Read the Laws of the Game! Even if the protest had been valid, they would have lost. It only took us twenty minutes to get back downtown from the stadium. Where were the ticos staying, down in Pueblo?

  2. Chris Sapien , March 27, 2013 at 3:37 p.m.

    Ball

Next story loading loading..