Ray Hudson loses his mind calling Messi's latest golazo

[VIDEO PICK: Golazo] Ray Hudson has long been known for his over-the-top delivery on soccer broadcasts, and fawning over Barcelona, but the former D.C. United coach broke new ground during Saturday's 2-2 tie at Athletic Bilbao by the Spanish giant with an indescribable minute of madness on a Leo Messi golazo.

Hudson’s joyous goalgasm can’t quite overshadow the epic footwork it accompanies. This was one of Messi’s best goals all season, and from the sound of it, it was almost fatal for the commentator.

Hudson’s status as soccer’s broadcast king of hyperbole was given a none too subtle challenge when Fox Soccer hired Gus Johnson, the owner of college basketball’s most volcanic vocal chords. But Hudson threw down the gauntlet once more Saturday, as only he knows how. Risking his windpipes to make it clear he can still raise the dead with his delivery, monopolizing the microphone to spew zealous adjectives, analogies and compliments without inhaling a lick of oxygen.

But seriously, what a goal …

8 comments about "Ray Hudson loses his mind calling Messi's latest golazo".
  1. feliks fuksman, April 29, 2013 at 9:42 a.m.

WONDERFUL TALENT AND AN AMAZING GOLAZZO!!

2. F. Kirk Malloy, April 29, 2013 at 9:52 a.m.

Roy is the best! He would do for US soccer broadcasting what Howard Cosell did for Monday Night Football (yes, I'm that old) - make it relevant to the masses. His command of the language is matched by his passion for, and knowledge of, the game. Just love his calls, and the US soccer market needs an over-the-top announcer to break through the noise. NBC, are you listening? We would be.

3. Vince Leone, April 29, 2013 at 1:17 p.m.

I will take Ray Hudson any day over those droning lifeless guys announcing Champions League games on Fox. They seem to think that defense is the most exciting part of the game and the most important thing to know about a player is which EPL team he played for in the past.

4. Nancy Carr-swaim, April 29, 2013 at 2:20 p.m.

One of my favorite "Ray" comments is the one about Messi: "He's chasing after the ball like a zombie on a twinkie!" I'll never forget that one! Who would? Great enthusiasm and excitement!

5. Kent James, April 29, 2013 at 3:51 p.m.

I love the goal (who wouldn't?) but I have a hard time listening to Hudson (though I appreciate his enthusiasm). I love Barcelona and think Messi is the best player in the world, but Hudson's fawning goes too far. I may be in the minority, but I prefer reasoned analysis from the commentators rather than a list of descriptive adjectives; I'm watching the game, I can provide those myself...

6. I w Nowozeniuk, April 29, 2013 at 6:20 p.m.

Roy is neon-times better tham any of the MLS broadcasters who milk the games into submission with their contant banter of nonsense and delusional bravado. The game needs commentary that is subtle, to thepoint and with enthusiasm when called for. Hudson flaunts over Messi because he has an opportunity to watch the maestro at work and not hear about it after his playing days are over. So let's not get too critical about Roy's enthusiasm.

7. Bret Newman, May 1, 2013 at 6:06 a.m.

I'm with Ray, that goal was out of this world, and Messi must be from another Galaxy. I never seen any player do that with the ball,and then score to top it off.

8. feliks fuksman, May 1, 2013 at 7:40 a.m.

Ray Hudson played with the same enthusiasm in the old NASL; I used to love to see him on the field (Ft Lauderdale Strikers or the Tampa Bay Rowdies, if I am not mistaken...)