Random draw to follow public ticket request for USA-Mexico game

By Paul Kennedy

The quadrennial USA-Mexico showdown in Columbus -- Day 8 of the Hexagonal -- is two months away, but demand for tickets is so high that U.S. Soccer will conduct a random draw for the undetermined number of tickets that will be made available to the general public for the Sept. 10 match at Crew Stadium.

The random draw will follow a pre-sale for priority groups and take place after ticket buyers submit their requests for tickets (a maximum of four), beginning July 19 at 10 a.m. ET and ending July 22 at 11:59 p.m. ET.

Priority groups include U.S. Soccer Supporters Club members and other members of the U.S. Soccer community.

Sponsor Visa will offer its cardholders an opportunity to request tickets for this match for a limited period (July 18 at 10 a.m. ET to July 19, at 2 a.m. ET) before the general public.

As it has done for other qualifiers, U.S. Soccer is offering VIP and travel packages that include tickets.

“U.S. Soccer is taking this unique approach due to the expected high ticket demand,” said U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati. “We’ve seen in the past few cycles that the USA-Mexico match in the final round of World Cup qualifying is by far the most desired ticket, and we wanted to provide as many fans as possible a fair opportunity to secure tickets at face value.”

There is a very good chance the USA will qualify for the World Cup if it beats Mexico in Columbus. Eight years ago, on what was Day 7 of the Hexagonal, the USA qualified for the 2006 World Cup with a 2-0 win over Mexico in Columbus. It also beat Mexico twice in Columbus in February qualifiers.

ATTENDANCE WATCH. Crowds for exhibitions matches involving Mexican clubs drew strong crowds at three venues on Saturday, and the matches didn't see a repeat of the problems last week in Las Vegas, where a Guadalajara-Club America match was marred by mass fighting among rival fans.

Tijuana drew almost 29,000 fans for its game in nearby San Diego against Club America. The game was played at Petco Park, home of the baseball Padres, and the cozy setting meant the field dimensions were  only 95 by 68 yards.

A Chivas-UNAM and Cruz Azul-Morelia doubleheader at San Jose's Spartan Stadium drew more than 22,000 fans, most of whom were supporting Chivas or Morelia. Northern California is home to large groups of immigrants from Jalisco and Michoacan who support Chivas and Morelia, respectively.

The San Antonio Scorpions played their first international at their new Toyota Park and set an attendance record with 8,255 fans for their game against Tigres.

Puebla had to postpone matches at the Carolina RailHawks on Saturday and Ventura County Fusion on Tuesday because it couldn't get out of Mexico City when a volcano disturbance forced U.S. airlines to cancel flights.

International Friendly Matches (July 6):
28,759 Tijuana-Club America (San Diego, Calif.)
22,389 Guadalajara-UNAM, Cruz Azul-Morelia (San Jose, Calif.)
8,555 San Antonio Scorpions-Tigres (San Antonio, Texas)
Soccer America on Twitter:
Follow Soccer America | Paul Kennedy | Ridge Mahoney | Mike Woitalla
Google+: Soccer America
Facebook: Soccer America
Soccer Business Insider RSS feed
3 comments about "Random draw to follow public ticket request for USA-Mexico game".
  1. Bill Anderson, July 7, 2013 at 12:04 a.m.

    Double Vetting for ALL USMNT ticket sales.
    1) American Outlaws or Sam's Army
    2) Local MLS Supporters Group
    Anyone wishing to attend these games would be required to be a member of both the National and Local Supporters club before they could purchase a ticket. No vetting, no ticket. We would secure our home-field advantage at all sites (not just Columbus). Of course we would set aside 5% of the tickets for the visiting opponents fans, but the other 95% would be US "organized and accredited".

  2. Scott O'Connor, July 7, 2013 at 1:06 p.m.

    Bill, i like it although there could be some discrimination complaints that US Soccer wouldn't want to be involved in. But the idea is one I like. I can't stand seeing "home" games with a large percentage of visiting team fans. Friendlies are one thing but for a WC qualifier, home field needs to be raucously red, white, blue, stars, stripes, etc....

  3. Bill Anderson, July 8, 2013 at 9:59 p.m.

    Discrimination? I don't get it. The only requirements would be to belong to your National and Local Supporters Group. There are no race, creed, color, orreligious requirements to be a US Supporter or a Supporter of your local MLS Club. You only need to love MLS and USMNT.

Next story loading loading..