The Egyptian soccer league on Tuesday was officially canceled because of the security situation in the country following the military overthrow of former President Mohamed Morsi nearly two weeks ago. On Tuesday, the Egyptian Football Association suspended the league indefinitely, which only had one round of play remaining, in addition to a four-team playoff. In a statement, the association said it sought support from Egyptian security officials but this had been denied.
This marks the second year in succession that the league has been prematurely brought to an end. Early last year, a stadium riot in Port Said led to 74 deaths and brought the league to a near-standstill for almost 12 months before a new season was belatedly allowed to begin.
Egypt's national team, which is coached by former U.S. national team coach Bob Bradley, is still on course for a place at next year's World Cup finals, and its top clubs have continued to play in international competition. However, most games have been played in front of small and restricted crowds or behind closed doors.