ESPN FC, Tuesday, January 28, 2014 2:59 PM
Barcelona president Josep Maria Bartomeu
says the club could take legal action against whoever leaked details of Neymar's controversial transfer and contract to the press. Last week,
El Mundo and other Spanish news outlets attained both court documents and details of the Neymar’s contract, leading Bartomeu and director Raul Sanllehi
to announce a total of
86.2 million ($117.6 million) euros had been paid to the player’s father, Neymar Sr.
, and his former club, Santos.
The deal, which was initially announced as having
cost 57 million euros ($78 million), is currently being investigated in Spanish court over a possible “diversion” of money; the courts are targeting in particular Barca’s
confidentiality agreement with Neymar’s father that precluded the club from revealing the transfer’s details.
Bartomeu says Barca is now building a case against those
responsible for publicizing the private details of the transfer to the press. “About the leaks to the press of Neymar’s contract. ... I have told our lawyers to follow the subject, and if
there is anything, to lodge a complaint. We will get to the bottom of it, whether it is a person, a group, a legal practice or a media publication that has published false figures.”
Meanwhile, Jordi Cases
, the Barcelona member whose petition sparked the investigation, says he will not withdraw the initial complaint, despite earlier reports claiming that he would.
When asked if he thought his complaint had forced the resignation of Rosell, Cases told Sport that he feels more information about the case has yet to come out. “There must be something
more,” he said. “You do not resign just for this.”
Read the whole story at ESPN FC »