What We're Reading

Santos to Sue Neymar Sr

  • ESPN FC, Thursday, January 30, 2014 2:29 PM
The fallout from Neymar-gate continues, as Brazilian giant Santos on Thursday said the club plans to take Neymar Sr. to court in order to claim a share of the 40 million euros ($54 million) he received as part of his son’s move to Barcelona last summer. According to ESPN, Neymar Sr. says the 40 million was actually a “penalty clause” that was owed to the Neymar family as a result of the Brazil international moving to the club 12 months earlier than had been previously agreed.

However, Santos is complaining that it only received 17.1 million euros ($23 million) for its former player, which the club adds that it had to split with third-party investors DIS Esporte and Teisa. The Brazilian giant claims notes that the stated transfer fee of 57 million euros ($77.3 million) is false, because 40 million of that total never went to the selling club.

In an interview, Santos president Odilio Rodrigues said he believed the full fee to have been 17.1 million euros, with no idea where the other 40 million came from. “A difference of 40 million makes everyone suspicious,” Rodrigues said, adding that former president Sandro Rosell, who stepped down last week following the opening of an investigation into the transfer, had told him there was a 40 million euro payment to another company (Neymar Sr.’s company N&N) that was a private affair that did not concern the Brazilian club. Now, Rodrigues claims that Santos, as the selling club, deserves to see full documentation surrounding the transfer, because it only saw a portion of the stated total. “Santos is going to file a complaint and expect a response,” he said.

Separately, ESPN is also reporting that DIS, one of the third parties mentioned above, is threatening legal action against Barca and Neymar Sr, too.

Read the whole story at ESPN FC »

Next story loading loading..