What We're Reading

Falcao Admits He Might Not Make World Cup

  • ESPN FC, Friday, May 16, 2014 12:35 PM

Radamel Falcao acknowledges that even if he makes Colombia coach Jose Pekerman’s 23-man squad for the World Cup, he will not be at his best. The AS Monaco striker, who suffered an ACL injury during a French League Cup game on Jan. 21, was added to Pekerman’s provisional 30-man squad earlier this week. However, in an interview with Marca, the 28-year-old said he would withdraw if he is not sufficiently recovered in time for the tournament.

"In the coming weeks the decision will be made," Falcao said. "I have been battling for many months now and working well. The knee is recovering without a setback, but all is still to be evaluated. I am hitting the ball now and have felt good. But that is one thing, just touching the ball. Another thing is to rejoin the group with maximum professional demands, these are different questions. This second level is where my knee must be able to respond adequately.”

He added: "To arrive 100 percent match-fit will be impossible, because I am lacking competitive action. To sum up, if it feels good, I will go. If I see that I am not secure and I cannot bring anything, I will be sensible and not go."

Read the whole story at ESPN FC »

Next story loading loading..