Faves & Likes: Donovan's reaction to Wondo's late miss

[SOCIAL MEDIA ROUNDUP] Wayne Rooney announcing his support for the USA, a glimpse of Landon Donovan watching the USA-Belgium game, and messages of consolation from celebrities such as Justin Timberlake, Rihanna and U.S. women’s national players are among our favorite images from World Cup Tuesday.

Look who was rooting for the USA on Tuesday:

10 comments about "Faves & Likes: Donovan's reaction to Wondo's late miss".
  1. Santiago 1314, July 2, 2014 at 12:21 a.m.

Congrats to US Players.. Awesome, Gutsy, display of The Never Say Die American Spirit.

2. Terry Ellis, July 2, 2014 at 8:25 a.m.

So close!!! Great game to watch even though the result wasn't what we wanted. Well played!

3. Tim Gibson, July 2, 2014 at 9:03 a.m.

I "Still" BELIEVE!

4. Joe Linzner, July 2, 2014 at 9:25 a.m.

Thanks to the entire team, Coaches and yes, US Soccer.

5. Garrett Isacco, July 2, 2014 at 9:38 a.m.

The coach made one big mistake in picking our side - taking Wondo over Donavon and we paid dearly for it. LD converts that sitter in the 90th minute. Nevertheless, congrats to the team for their riviting performance.

6. Clark k gear Gear jr, July 2, 2014 at 10:18 a.m.

The German experiment was worth a try but it should end. We have several top players who understand America and have played at the highest levels, McBride, Keller, Reyna and many others.
    Donovan would have scored 2-3 more goals had he been rightly invited.

7. I w Nowozeniuk, July 2, 2014 at 10:57 a.m.

Great effort, and a missed sitter speaks about the nerves and the moment. It's all about executing in the moment.

8. Greg Morris, July 2, 2014 at 11:12 a.m.

Everyone needs to go back and take a look at that so called "sitter." My reaction was the same as everyone else when it happened real time but when I watched the replay later I saw something completely different. Courtois had that smothered. Don't take my word for it watch for yourself. if you want to see a missed sitter, watch the Switzerland game again.

9. G O, July 3, 2014 at 12:16 a.m.

Well, Mr. Morris, I am not going to disagree with you on the merits of young GK for Belgium T. Courtois. He really is a gem of a keeper at such a young age. And he did have a few strong moments in that game and has overall helped the Belgians keep their "goals against" very low over now 4 matches. However, I think we can expect a Wondolowski, considering his age and years of striking experience, to have the poise and presence in that moment to trap swiftly to one side or the other and fire it in or to note through peripheral vision, I believe, Dempsey just to his left, sliding it to Clint for the easy tap in. Yes, this is what I do fully expect from guys who do this for a living and have done nothing much but play soccer since they were 6 or 7 years old. Wondo blew it. No, I don't want it to haunt him. Not at all. Dempsey blew far more chances over all 120 minutes total. Bradley just about created and did nothing until the final 22-24 minutes of overtime play. I agree with Nowozeniuk: This is about the ability to execute. A la young Mueller the No. 13 on the German squad. Note how he flubs one in the course of a match but then burns on the inside until he puts one in the back of the net. Such as this I did not see in Bedoya, Dempsey, Bradley, or Wondowlowski.

10. Albert Harris, July 3, 2014 at 10:52 a.m.

I don't think the problem is 'burning' on the inside. No player at this level lacks the desire. The US problem is that we lack the SKILL. The basic skill that defines a superior soccer player is the technical skill to bring the ball under control with one touch and then do something constructive with it, either a dribble, pass or shot. Think of the matches against Germany and Belgium and who has these skills in abundance. For Germany: Mueller as mentioned but also Ozil, Kroos, Schweinsteiger and Lahm (a defender even)! For Belgium:Hazard, Witsel, DeBruyne, Mertens, and even Fellaini! Who does the US have in this category? Dempsey is really the only one. All the others are role players; useful maybe but not game changers. Sadly this will continue until the we either encourage skill over athleticism...or we find a Messi with one American parent.