What We're Reading

Report: Pardew's Job Safe-for Now

Newcastle United is currently 19th in the Premier League table and winless in six games so far this season, but reports claim that coach Alan Pardew’s job is safe -- at least until the international break that begins next Monday. Speaking to reporters after Monday night’s 1-0 loss at Stoke City, which left Newcastle in the relegation zone, Pardew said he expects to have his regular conversation with owner Mike Ashley over the next few days, but that no action would be taken about his future until after next weekend’s game at Swansea.

"It leaves us in the bottom three,” the 53-year-old said of Monday’s loss at the Britannia. “We've got to fight, I've got to fight and the team’s got to fight and that’s what we’ll continue to do until we turn it round. I don’t expect a serious conversation with Mike Ashley tonight but I think we’ll have some serious conversations before Saturday, because he doesn't want to lose and nor do I.”

Asked what has been letting the club down, Pardew pointed to the club’s lack of attacking efficiency. "That's been our problem probably for most of the season really. We've got to find a little bit more quality there. Our delivery, our method a little bit let us down in that area. We're going to need to make a couple of changes I think to the starting 11 to give ourselves a bit more thrust. We just need something in that final area, someone to create the moment. We've had a few chances tonight. Unfortunately tonight we weren't able to get that."

Read the whole story at Sky Sports News »

Next story loading loading..

Discover Our Publications