Klinsmann: 'I'm happy with the direction we're going'

The USA has just two wins in nine games since the 2014 World Cup and blown numerous leads, but U.S. national team coach Jurgen Klinsmann is OK with the experimenting.

“I’m happy with the direction we’re going,” Klinsmann told USSoccer.com. “We always said the year after the World Cup is a transition year, especially for us in Concacaf because there is no competition until the Gold Cup in July, so it would be foolish not to use this one year of time to try out a lot of things, to integrate new players, to try out different systems, to move out of your comfort zone going to Europe, going to other places and risk some results."

He said it would make no sense to load up on home games against opponents the USA would beat.

“If we wouldn’t do that," he said of the heavy schedule of matches in Europe, "there’d be no growth. If we would just be comfortable and play all of our games in the U.S. against teams that we’d most likely beat, there is no growth.”

Klinsmann said the priority was to find new players to build competition within the inner circle of the national team.

“Then, we’ll decide by summer who’s matching more the under-23s, the Olympic team, maybe some go even to [the U-20s] hopefully to the World Cup in New Zealand. These are all kinds of points that are far more important right now than results, even if you always want to get results.”

10 comments about "Klinsmann: 'I'm happy with the direction we're going'".
  1. brett wyatt, April 7, 2015 at 5:45 p.m.

"These are all kinds of points that are far more important right now than results..." Absolutely correct. So many whiney Klinsmann haters complaining about results of FRIENDLIES...

2. Tim Brown, April 7, 2015 at 6:04 p.m.

hopefully you are right brett. Lets see how we do this summer in the Gold Cup. Fact is we are the third best team in our region right now behind Costa Rica and Mexico. It is not that we are losing it is how we are losing my friend that has many concerned about the lack of direction the USMNT is going in. Hope for the best for all our players and coaching staff.

3. Andrew Kear, April 7, 2015 at 8:51 p.m.

So far Klinsmann has been a flop, but a Gold Cup win would least give the US some pride back.

4. Zoe Willet, April 7, 2015 at 9:45 p.m.

I agree 100% with Klinsmann, and find him to be a brilliant strategist. One must not forget, however, that he is dealing with human beings, so there are always unforeseen circumstances and risk. I'm with you, Brett; those who say he's a flop need to develop some powers of analysis.

5. Bob Ashpole, April 7, 2015 at 11:23 p.m.

What bothers me is that I don't see the USMNT going in a new direction. USSF replaced a successful coach with someone who was expected not to be merely successful, but to move the team forward, in terms of style of play and competitiveness. By that standard there has been no progress at all.

6. Nalin Carney, April 7, 2015 at 11:48 p.m.

I think the man is out of his mind!

7. Andrew Kear, April 8, 2015 at 6:58 a.m.

I would say under Klinsmann the U.S. has actually regressed. I think ultimately winning the Golg Cup is the only way to save his reputation.

8. cisco martinez, April 8, 2015 at 10:43 a.m.

I don't know what Klinsmann is talking about, his 2-6-2 record, his defense giving up more than 50% goals against in the last 15 minutes of the game, changing his formations from 3-5-2 to 4-4-2, getting outscored 12-1 in the 2nd half; If I were playing or coaching and my record was that, I wouldn't say, "I'm happy with the direction were going." As a player/Former Coach, this does not instill confidence in his team.

9. robert Stuebing, April 10, 2015 at 5:46 p.m.

We need more Germans who like Klinsman can remind all of us and especially the players how bad we are. The addition of Vogts who was very dynamic and successful as Scotland coach is sure to instill a very pro American approach.

10. BJ Genovese, April 10, 2015 at 8:47 p.m.

Im unhappy with the current idea that any player that plays in Europe or has dual citizenship is an automatic in for our US national team. I know many national teams have players that play in foreign leagues that are top tier however, those players have proven themselves in those leagues. We seem to have it backwards here in the US. Its like.. make the national team. Then Europe will recognize you.. but only if you have played for your national team or if you have dual citizenship. In my huble opinion we have to develop our players here at home so we have some identity and so we create a system. Maybe with Jurgen he is going the fast route for the short coming but also trying to work on the long run with the USSDA. And maybe this is where some of the confusion is coming from. But he has to be clear about the future. I know we have this huge thing about Americans playing a fitness game. But we have to realize that we have kids that are watching play overseas and have Ranoldo's and Messi's and Hazard's as there hero's. I think we are too quick to jump on the overseas hype. I also think Jurgen realizes this. Thats why he took Green... before he ever even proved himself.