Concacaf in emergency mode -- again

With Concacaf president Jeffrey Webb provisionally suspended by FIFA and Concacaf from all soccer activities for 90 days, Concacaf named Honduran Alfredo Hawit as acting president.

U.S. Soccer president Sunil Gulati, Mexican federation president Justino Compean and CSA president Victor Montagliani have been named to a committee charged with "evaluating and sustaining" the confederation's business affairs.

Hawit, Concacaf's most senior vice president, has been charged with running Concacaf on a temporary basis for the second time. He was named interim president after Jack Warner's exit in 2011.

SA Confidential: World Cup of fraud and confederation of lies

The executive committee also placed general secretary Enrique Sanz, who is battling leukemia, on a leave of absence to begin immediately, and named deputy general secretary Ted Howard as acting general secretary. Howard had been acting general secretary after the resignation of Chuck Blazer and before Sanz's hiring. Sanz was an unindicted co-conspirator in the Federal indictment handed down in Brooklyn, accused of participating in Webb's scheme to take millions of dollars in kickbacks from Traffic, Sanz's former employer.

“While we are profoundly disappointed by the allegations made by authorities that again, Concacaf has been the victim of fraud, we remain committed to Concacaf’s goal to develop, promote and manage the game of soccer,” Hawit said. “We have now taken the appropriate steps to maintain our operations and continue to deliver on our commitments to all of our constituents, including our fans, members as well as commercial and broadcast partners. We also continue to cooperate with the ongoing investigation by governmental authorities, which have not placed any restrictions on our ongoing activities.”

'No Mas'

-- In a statement, the Costa Rican federation, whose president Eduardo Li was among those arrested, said that it would not vote for Blatter.

'ZERO TOLERANCE.' Scotiabank, which signed as title sponsor of the Concacaf Champions League in 2014, is evaluating its sponsorship.

“We are deeply disturbed by these allegations involving Concacaf officials and take them very seriously,” Scotiabank saidin a statement. “We have zero tolerance for these types of actions from any of our partners. We are monitoring the situation very closely and will review our involvement as more details become available.”


3 comments about "Concacaf in emergency mode -- again".
  1. VIC Aguilera, May 28, 2015 at 6:29 p.m.

    J. Compean is not to be trusted.

  2. Ric Fonseca, May 29, 2015 at 2:42 p.m.

    Justino Compean? I hope Gulat can control this guy, just ask anyone from Mexico about Compean, AY CARAJO!

  3. Ric Fonseca, May 29, 2015 at 2:44 p.m.

    As for Ted Howard, I first met him when he was a (if memory serves me correctly) a student athlete or student assistant to then Chico State University Coach Don Batie, and then when he was an employee of sorts for the old Oakland Clippers back in the late 1969. He's certainly climbed up the soccer feeding chain, so congratulations to Ted, but just watch your back!!!

Next story loading loading..

Discover Our Publications